Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine electronic accessory wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine electronic accessory wires

Howdy - Like most IO540s, I suppose, I have an alternator and starter on the front that I need to run wires to. My understanding is that those wires need to be separated from the sensitive sensor wires (CHT, EGT, etc). How have you all run and secured all these wires? Any pictures?

Also I have seen a lot of ignition leads for the lower plugs secured with the bottom screw of the engine valve covers. Mine have a pretty big lip and I'm not sure if its OK to cut off a section of that lip to attach a clamp of if everyone is just stacking washers to get past the lip on those covers. I have other ideas, but clamping there does look simpler than what I'm doing.

Cheers!
    Almost flying!

I stacked washers at the valve covers.

Comment

• AKKen07
      AKKen07 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Jared

Originally posted by AKKen07 View Post
    Howdy - Like most IO540s, I suppose, I have an alternator and starter on the front that I need to run wires to. My understanding is that those wires need to be separated from the sensitive sensor wires (CHT, EGT, etc). How have you all run and secured all these wires? Any pictures?
    Na, I ran all those wires together in one bundle. I guess maybe an inch of separation from the alternator wire, at most, but certainly I made no effort to keep them separated. I've had no issues whatsoever with interference.

I have run them along the top of the flexible connections on the intake manifold, then up the engine mount using clamps, and through the firewall.
    Last edited by Battson; 11-10-2021, 03:16 PM.

Comment

• AKKen07
      AKKen07 commented
      Editing a comment
      Say, what did you use to attach to the flexible intake joint? I see I could use zip ties, but I don’t know if the temps are acceptable for those in that location?

• Battson
      Battson commented
      Editing a comment
      Zip ties work fine, a good quality one will last for many years. The incoming air might be helping to keep those connectors cool, maybe.

• AKKen07
      AKKen07 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice, I’ll do it. Thanks again!

I did try to keep the spark plug wires, alternator power, and power wires to Dynon's heated pitot tube away from anything wire hooked up to electronics. I ran the EGT/CHT wires along the top of the engine baffling, just to make them easy to get to as I heard EGT probes don't last forever and I wanted them to be easy to get to.

Comment

• AKKen07
      AKKen07 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s a neat idea, thanks!
Working...
X