Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vans FWF kit... Item list for an O-360 Engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

James...the vetterman exhaust was 10 plus. Just my input. No idea on pricing

Comment

• James
      James commented
      Editing a comment
      10 plus what Gary? :-?

10 out of 10...sorry James

Comment

Righto - so the Vans FWF kit and the FAB arrived this week - straight out of the box, I can say it is a beautiful bit of kit, and the Vans sales staff are very helpful to deal with, and patient with overseas customers.

Pluses - it's beautiful stuff, and looks well made. Well documented (those RV builders really have someone holding their hand the whole way :-)
      Negatives - I've ordered stuff I don't really need, but I didn't know how everything fitted together until it arrived and I held it in my hands.

I recommend future buyers initially purchase all the doc packs, including the Vans "FWF Complete Documentation", which are beautiful big posters which show you how to proceed. Even if 50% of the instructions aren't relevant to a bearhawk engine installation, for truly clueless people like me, the 50% that are will get you asking the right questions, and more importantly, the confidence to just start tinkering with fitting out the engine.

Lots of little helpful things like restrictors for the pressure sender lines, and a really cheap way of buying lots of AN fittings for your engine install. You can adapt a lot of what they send you.

My next question is:
      Does anyone have a good photo of the bracket they used for their mixture and throttle cables on the carburettor (O-360 Lycoming, vertical carburettor).
      As Jared has said elsewhere, there aren't many good photos out there to go on.
      The Vans product has a complex bellcrank arrangement which probably won't work for a bearhawk instrument panel.
      Schu above says he can fabricate them, but I'm thinking I'm in a catch-22 situation: I'd prefer to use the threaded rod ends on the cables, but I don't know which cables to purchase until I know the distance between the bracket flange and the throttle / mixture arms, etc...

As usual, any info I find I'll share back to the forums.

Thanks again guys

James

The Barrows Bearhawk: Who knew my wife could get jealous of a plane?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Wallace View Post
        James...the vetterman exhaust was 10 plus. Just my input. No idea on pricing
        I just bought one. It was almost exactly the same price as Vans: $1610 delivered. (for 0-360 A1A, for Patrol, w/carb heat and muffler). I went with it because Clint at Vetterman said it would fit. I don’t know if the Vans one would. Probably only another BH builder of your model airframe and engine could tell you.

Comment

I mounted the exhaust early in the process - the space that is stollen by it is non negotiable- like if I install the fuel line first then the exhaust won’t fit. Vettermans fit perfectly. I don’t think anyone has muffler’s that are actually quiet- James you could use strait pipes . For that matter bob used electrical conduit and it’s held a couple deckades- you can get flanges from amazon

Comment

• James
            James commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, I talked with Clint at Vetterman's the other day, he's such a polite guy, I actually felt a bit bad about adding to his pile of back orders!

Hopefully he'll have my exhaust ready to go in a month or two - good advice about holding back until the exhaust is fitted, and then mounting the other items around it

Cheers, James

Originally posted by James View Post

My next question is:
          Does anyone have a good photo of the bracket they used for their mixture and throttle cables on the carburettor (O-360 Lycoming, vertical carburettor).
          As Jared has said elsewhere, there aren't many good photos out there to go on.

Hi James,
          Are you referring to the throttle/mixture bracket. This is included in the FWF kit. Some photos of my installation. Mine is a O-540, but I used the O-360 bracket, with some modifications. Works fine for the last 4 years…hope this help.
          38C8E837-5F1A-4E8E-84BB-478E97355F98.png
          EA5B97E9-9ED4-458E-B28A-D4A89F763D60.pngBBCE14AC-91B3-48D4-9176-7A7B83EF9676.png
          Attached Files

Comment

• James
            James commented
            Editing a comment
            That's fantastic Tango - exactly what I was after!
            I actually purchased this same VA-149 bracket with my FWF kit, but then realised it was for a horizontal carburettor, and so I thought it was wasted money and I was going to make up something myself.

Your photo demonstrates my intended setup will work - plus it gives me confidence to know that I can use the threaded cables and rod ends, and that the sort of bend radius shown with your cables is ok (even with the tight -540 installation).

A photo is worth a thousand words, and $50 bucks saved on buying / making another control bracket :-)

Thanks again,

James

PS - cool rego in the background - C-GOER. I think we're about to move to 4 letter regos here in Australia, I might have to jump in quick and grab that one myself :-)

Airflow Performance also carries Throttle / Mixture Cable Brackets. Since my fuel injection system is AFP, I went with theirs.

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 8.32.19 AM.png
          Rob Caldwell
          Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
          EAA Chapter 309
          Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
          YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
          1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Working...
          X