Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Axle Insert Reinforcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being a mechanical engineer I have gotten good at discerning high and low stress areas in structures. Without a picture it is hard to describe but the inboard part of the tube has low bending moment inside of the weldments, hence has pretty low stress. If my wheel falls off I'll let you know. : )

Comment

• Battson
      Battson commented
      Editing a comment
      I would have been very interested to see an FEA if you had one, also being a mechanical engineer I would like to understand the applied forces and stress path in more detail, as I am considering whether or not to do that particular mod. To me the stress during a landing isn't simple-case, and my thinking is aggravated by the complex structure of welded hollow-tubes in unusual geometry

Thanks for the input everyone. I am most concerned about material left from weld penetration on the inside of the tube. I've seen some reamers on ebay that would fit, but I'm wondering how well the reamer would do at clearing chips if there is much material in there. Aren't the straight flutes of reamers generally intended for very small material removal only? The most appealing option was an adjustable reamer, which would also answer the question of whether a .125" reamer would allow enough clearance for the tube to fit.

Comment

Would one like this be a good choice?

It says it has a #2 taper, but I'm not sure what that means.

Comment

Resurrecting the old thread here, does anyone have a 1.255 reamer that I can borrow or buy?

Comment

If you are scratch building- why not just make the whole tube thicker to begin with ?

Comment

You can, no problem. I actually bought a thicker set from Rod Smith waaaaay back when I was going to make my own gear. I went a different route. I scratch-built my fuselage but bought the engine mount and landing gear from (then) Avipro. For the simple reason that if the gear ever gets tweaked I can buy a new one without having to fabricate a one-off duplicate. The engine mount was purchased in case me or another might want to put on a different engine.
        Last edited by alaskabearhawk; 02-16-2024, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X