Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another milestone day! First engine run. Mine is a Bob overhaulled Lycoming O-360 A1A. I'm running a single Bendix mag and an Electroaire system. A buddy, who was standing fire watch, was amazed to see it fire right up. I don't think I saw 2 blades before it started! Runs great and the prop tracks straight.
    Ah, airplane smells!

Bill

Comment

• Deftone
      Deftone commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats Bill, I will need to come over and see your progress when I get back into town!

• Bdflies
      Bdflies commented
      Editing a comment
      Come on up!

Bill

• Sebastian
      Sebastian commented
      Editing a comment
      GREAT to hear Bill!! Can't wait to see it.

• I am wiring my panel--fun, fun,fun!

Comment

• Today I started pushing rivets into the second main spar. Lessons learned from the first spar are paying off.

Un-bearhawk-related, I helped a local fellow with his custom panel for his Kitfox SS. It's a laser-cut carbon fiber piece that is turning out very nice. Dynon, ipad mini, map box from Vans, transponder and comms. A throttle bracket was cut from the scrap in the dynon cutout. I laid out the CAD work for a beer. And a guaranteed flight by year's end. So if any of you need panel layout work (and you have too much beer) drop me a line!

Also, in recent weeks I came across the FAA's "Aviation Maintenance Technician Handbook - Airframe" - I have no idea if these practices are intended to substitute for 43.13-1B but it's certainly more enjoyable to read and looks more updated. I like that these manuals cover the tools and equipment as well as the subject matter itself, starting at 30,000 feet and then zooming into the details. They are intended to prepare A&P students, that is, someone just starting out, so they are great for homebuilders as well. In contrast, I find 43.13-1B throws me into the weeds from page 1.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 3 photos.
      Mark
      Scratch building Patrol #275
      Hood River, OR

Comment

• Originally posted by Chewie View Post
        Today I started pushing rivets into the second main spar. Lessons learned from the first spar are paying off.
        I *so* want to drive that first spar rivet, but dang it if I'm not paranoid about it! I need to get the attach angles aligned first, and then get the holes drilled in the spacer bars. Then things get real.

Christopher Owens
        Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
        Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
        Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

• Chewie
          Chewie commented
          Editing a comment
          Chris, back riveting on a C frame with a rivet gun extension is the best thing since sliced bread. What I fussed about for months turned out to be a non-issue. I highly recommend that method.

• Mark (Chewie) showed us the Airframe handbooks, and when I went to that site and poked around a bit, I also found the "Powerplant" handbooks, along with the handbook for Amateur Built & Ultralight Flight Testing. They can be found here: Other FAA Handbooks
        Jim Parker
        Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
        RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

• I never thought I'd install an autopilot, but a few variables changed. Here are some pics.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• How are you connecting the AP servo horn to the flight controls? And what criteria did you use to select between the Low / Med / High force servos? Single- or multi-axis autopilot? (Inquiring minds, and all that...)
            Jim Parker
            Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
            RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

• I'll have all of the details in Beartracks, coming soon! I still need to verify that it all works.

Comment

• What variables changed that made you re-evaluate an auto-pilot installation?
                Brooks Cone
                Southeast Michigan
                Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Originally posted by jaredyates
                  I'll have all of the details in Beartracks, coming soon! I still need to verify that it all works.
                  I know your trying to sell a newsletter but it's shit like this that makes me want to bag the forum. But I guess it's a choice for each of us. Maybe I should start asking for credit card info before I respond or other builders emails. 😏
                  Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• Hmmm...
                    This morning, I had my coffee from a Bearhawk cup (thanks Jared). While enjoying that coffee, I perused this forum looking for comments or questions from like minded individuals. (Thanks Jared). It was warm today, so I wore a rather nice looking Bearhawk Patrol shirt. (Thanks Jared). While applying stripes, to my Patrol, a friend asked if there was a "Patrol" decal. I showed him the "Patrol" decals I have. (Thanks Jared). This afternoon, while perusing the forum again, I happen on the first ill words I've seen here, in my 18 months experience on the forum. And to my surprise, those ill words seem pointed at Jared.
                    For all his efforts, that some of us enjoy, I'm sure the profits might buy a meal out, for his family. I sure hope so.

Bill

Comment

• Originally posted by whee View Post

I know your trying to sell a newsletter but it's shit like this that makes me want to bag the forum. But I guess it's a choice for each of us. Maybe I should start asking for credit card info before I respond or other builders emails. 😏
                      I've rewritten my reply to this post about ten times so far, and I just can't find the right words to express myself here. So just let me say that I've never met a group more generous with shared information than the one featured here.

Folks like Jared and Zane host type specific forums for the benefit of the communities they serve, and I applaud them. All that you see here is out of his pocket, and done in his spare time. The newsletter is a small potato used to pay for this resource that we all get to use to collaborate at no cost to us.

I may have to rewrite this reply again...
                      Christopher Owens
                      Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                      Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                      Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

• Mrs. Thomas, my second grade school teacher, had a sign on her class room wall, "Taste your words before you spit them out." Obviously I failed to do that and for that I apologize. I know nobody is getting rich off any of these forums and most don't even break even but I feel how I feel and I guess my mood was just right that I hit the enter button this time. Again, I apologize.
                        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• I'm amazed by and very thankful for the substantial and generous contributions of Jared for the Bearhawk community.
                          THANKS JARED!!!

Comment

• WhooHoo I finally got the landing lights cut into my wings and got the lenses installed!

I have enclosed some pictures and am going to try to explain what I was able to accomplish that I hope will be helpful to someone else. I cut four holes in the leading edge of the wings, two for landing lights and two for taxi lights. Hole size is 5'w x 6.5'L for all four. I created a template from which to mark the hole and positioned it so topside from the center line of the leading edge was 3 5/8" and below the centerline was 4 7/8". I wanted a longer opening on bottom side of the wing for the taxi lights.
                            The Plexiglas I used was 1/8" and I cut it to 6"w x 9"L and shaped it over the leading edge of the wing using spring clamps and a heat gun.

Pic 1 is the completed lenses.

Pic 2 I have drilled the holes and am using masking tape doubled to pull the lens forward and marking the holes for the screws. (6-32 1/2" min.)

Pic 3 is the lens with the 6-32 nut plates installed.

Pic 4 is my template

Pic 5 is one of the cut-outs

Pic 6 shows how I put the nut plates in place. While two pop rivets will hold the plate with the nut plates I found that I needed the extra support when installing screws.

DSCN0285.JPGDSCN0283.JPGDSCN0278.JPGDSCN0274.JPGDSCN0276.JPGDSCN0277.JPG

Comment

• Bdflies
                              Bdflies commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Looking really good CJ! Those are some mighty shiny cleco's! You oughta see mine.....

Bill
                          Working...
                          X