Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last weekend I put on some proper size tires! (26" Goodyear "blimp" tires) to replace the 7.00x6's. And I installed Vortex generator's. (STOLspeed).

Comment

• Bcone1381
      Bcone1381 commented
      Editing a comment
      I want pictures!

• Battson
      Battson commented
      Editing a comment
      Pictures or it didn't happen!

Steve - tell us what you think the VG's did to your performance. And where did you place them? Mark

Comment

• n144sh
      n144sh commented
      Editing a comment
      Mark, I'm traveling on business this week but will post some numbers next weekend when I am home. I took data before, after installing VG's on horiz stab, and after installing on wings.

Short version of the results:
      - VG's on horiz stab had no discernible impact on stall speed (as expected) but did give a bit more elevator effectiveness at slow speeds.
      - VG's on wings lowered stall speed (IAS) by about 4-5 MPH. Also reduced top speed by about the same.

I was looking at the forum pictures where Whee is attaching the wing. I want to understand something about the attach process. I did not see the strut in the picture. I assumed that the dihedral would only come into play when the strut is attached to the fuselage.

I was also wondering how the one degree was set. If the weight of the wing is taken off the strut - and then its location is set for the one degree; wouldn't the weight of the wing on the strut move it off the one degree set point?

Is there an offset for sag that is generally used?
    Stan
    Austin Tx

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
      Mark Goldberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Stan, there is a write up on installing the wings to your fuselage on our website under the Builder's Tips section. It is a link called Additional Guidance for Drilling Your Wings To Your Fuselage. Take a look. Mark

Monday, I finished installing all the stringers, and the flight controls. Yesterday, I finished the door frames. Tomorrow, I'll start installing the nut plates for the floor boards.

Today, I'm taking the day off to take the wife and grown daughter to the airport for their "You get to build an airplane, so we get to go to New York City!" trip. (I'm quite happy with that trade-off, by the way!)
    Jim Parker
    Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
    RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

I got some before & afters on a 10' brake with test strips, ready to transpose the results to the full size test strips and spar webs. The setback and radius are perfect. Hopefully the first real bend next Sunday! A small victory but a while in the making.
      Mark
      Scratch building Patrol #275
      Hood River, OR

Comment

• DRLPatrol
        DRLPatrol commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool, I should have hung around longer and helped.

Doug

Didn't have a chance to take pictures but we got the wing fittings all on, quite the adventure, checked lift strut alignment and ensured the seaplane doors will clear the struts. All good! Taking the weekend off for some jet boating then next week we'll move the plane back to my place. Nice to see some progress!
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Thursday, I drilled and riveted all the nut plates for the floor boards, then started fitting and match-drilling the floorboards to the nut plates.

Friday, I finished fitting the floorboards, and temporarily installed all of them to test the fit. That 10" drill bit came in handy for a few of the holes close to the flight controls and shock absorbers. Installed the rudder pedals and brakes. Made my first control cables (rudder cable that links front and rear pedals). Also installed the door handle springs, so now I can close the doors and they stay closed! (And then I promptly removed the doors so I could reach in easier... Some "victories" are shorter-lived than others...)

This afternoon's goal is to get all this documented in my build log, and try to get it accessible on-line.
        Jim Parker
        Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
        RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Installed the engine and started the sheet metal work for the cowl.

I am not satisfied that I have the nose bowl located correctly. It currently sits flush with the front of the crank plus the ring gear flange. But I am keeping my options open to move it back.

Comment

Today completed the flange fluting function free from faigue. Faithfully finished on a Friday, and fanatically facing future fabrication feats.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Originally posted by Bcone1381 View Post
              Today completed the flange fluting function free from faigue. Faithfully finished on a Friday, and fanatically facing future fabrication feats.
              Fabulously fortuitous!
              Christopher Owens
              Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
              Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
              Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Used a 3D printer to create templates for my inspection panels.

Comment

F^&#%)^ - A! (couldn't resist)

More deburring of spar fittings.
                  Mark
                  Scratch building Patrol #275
                  Hood River, OR

Comment

I can't tell if your photo corresponds to your story, but it might be better to flange the lightening holes before fluting the edges....since the ribs will warp when you put the angle on the lightening holes. Or maybe you know this in which case just ignore me.

Comment

• Bcone1381
                      Bcone1381 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Too Late! I never considered holding off on fluting until the lightening holes were flanged. If it warps again on the longitudinal axis, I a-flutting we will go!

Brooks

• Chewie
                      Chewie commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I fluted first, then flanged the holes, then minor fluting corrections and Bob sticking at the end.

• epapa
                      epapa commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Which process did you use to flange the holes? Rubber or making male and female forms?

Just about have the master routing patterns finished for my Patrol wings. Last ones to cut out are the aileron and flap nose/pocket ribs. I laid those out on the MDF sheets last night, and they're ready for the band saw. Then I'll be ready to create the actual routing forms themselves.
                    Christopher Owens
                    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Bradrock
                      Used a 3D printer to create templates for my inspection panels.
                      Mind sharing the files?

Comment

Working...
                      X