Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut, fitted and drilled plexi door window - one down and on more to go
    door lower window plexi fitted and drilled.jpg Backing ring for door window.jpg

Comment

• Very nice. That's something I'd probably do next time around, having the smaller window panel in the lower door section. Certainly useful for manoeuvring on rough ground.
      Nev Bailey
      Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
      YouTube - Build and flying channel
      Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• One of my last hurdles was trying to figure out a way to keep the front cargo door open. I've seen a number of ideas and solutions, but none that I really liked or wanted to mess with. A friend I used to work with years ago stopped by the shop yesterday afternoon for a long overdue visit and to have a look at my project. We talked for a long time, reminiscing about any number of things. As he was getting ready to leave I told him of my issue and asked if he would have any ideas. I told him of the door catch that Civil Air Patrol mechanics made for our Beavers. They attached to the wing lift strut. Not too complex to make, but a lot of work and that was my Plan A. We talked for awhile and then he came up with this dirt-simple concept! So, it's my turn to try and figure out how to make it and this is what I came up with. I finally settled on using a couple of tailwheels from R/C models I have hanging in my shop. After an afternoon of some simple lathe work and tweaking I now have a door stop! It's not much bigger than a fuel sump and if I end up changing my mind at a later date I can always go back to my Plan A.

20240407_114235.jpg 20240407_154335.jpg 20240407_154356.jpg 20240407_161115.jpg 20240407_163457.jpg 20240407_163634.jpg 20240407_163628.jpg

Comment

• Engine mounting rubbers for IO 540 I have to decide between Lord and Barry mounts, can anybody give me their input on how Barry mounts are? There is a substantial price difference. How does the quality compare!

Comment

• rodsmith
            rodsmith commented
            Editing a comment
            I can only speak to the Barry mounts and I haven't flown yet. I have had the engine mounted several years and there has been no detectable sagging so far. They were easy to install.

• Thanks for the reply, just needed to hear from someone who used them

Comment

• It was a good day today. The large bits made it to a hangar at SXQ/PASX without being damaged. The fuselage JUST fit my 18ft flatbed trailer! Assembly starts tomorrow…

IMG_2693.jpg IMG_2694.jpg IMG_2696.jpg IMG_2697.jpg IMG_2695.jpg IMG_2698.jpg

Comment

• First engine start. Not super exciting to watch, but it is something special: https://youtu.be/t5hL1o_Rv9E

20240416_095542.jpg
              Last edited by alaskabearhawk; 04-17-2024, 01:21 AM.

Comment

• RobinDeMarco
                RobinDeMarco commented
                Editing a comment
                Congratulations, Paul! Looks great and is encouragement for the rest of us to keep building.

• Redneckmech
                Redneckmech commented
                Editing a comment
                Congratulations Paul! For the first time, you are not having to make the airplane noises yourself!

• Stefano
                Stefano commented
                Editing a comment
                Your exuberance is my inspiration! Best part of the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5hL1o_Rv9E&t=150s

• Very good! Encouragement to get to work for the rest of us.
              Roger
              QB Companion C-9
              N51RK

Comment

• It's official. N907PM is no longer a project, it's a real airplane!

Pinocchio: And someday, I'm gonna be a real boy! Geppetto: A real boy! It's my wish! It's come true!

20240424_155302.jpg

Comment

• DBeaulieu
                  DBeaulieu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Excellent...congratulations!

• RobinDeMarco
                  RobinDeMarco commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Congratulations, Paul!

• OhioLSA
                  OhioLSA commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Congratulations! Beautiful aircraft.

• Prep for paint continues while I await warmer temperatures. Finally finished the fill/sand/fill/sand thing chin scoop, nose bowl, and exhaust air dam. Now it was time to figure out the masks for my paint scheme. All you guys who used single colour or straight lines on your airplanes are WAAAAY smarter than me....

Desired Outcome:
                image.png

Wing (the mask, when cut out, is for the blue bit. It is the only one needed)
                image.png

Fuselage:
                image.png
                image.png
                image.png
                image.png​​

Attached Files
                -------------------
                Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
                Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
                RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

• rv8bldr
                  rv8bldr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Unlikely it will be at OSH this year. With painting, final assembly and inspection, remedial work (I'm sure there will be something), paperwork, and the test program, I don't think it is possible. That being said, one can always hope...

• RobinDeMarco
                  RobinDeMarco commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The paint scheme looks very sharp, rv8bldr. Did you do the design yourself or was it hired out?

• rv8bldr
                  rv8bldr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Did it myself just using Microsoft Paint. I scanned the 3-view from the plans and futzed around with 6 or 8 different designs. I did the same thing back in the day for my RV-8. Since this is a scratch-build (mostly), I heightened the panel of my Bearhawk which changed the glareshield angle so I modified the 3-view a bit to make it closer to what I built
                  Last edited by rv8bldr; Yesterday, 10:03 AM.
              Working...
              X