Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

What did you do on your Bearhawk Project Today? We all want to know, and look forward to your infectious perseverance to help spur the rest of us along.

I am working on Nose Ribs today.
    Attached Files
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by Bcone1381; 10-21-2020, 08:03 AM. Reason: I replaced the image so orientation is correct.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

I researched two places to fly within walking distance of the beach, after learning that I probably wouldn't be able to find a place to land on the beach legally, and I initiated my insurance renewal, thankfully at about a 15% discount from last year.

Comment

On Monday we moved the fuselage to my Father-in-laws shop to mount the wings.

Untitled by Jon Whee, on Flickr

Untitled by Jon Whee, on Flickr

Today I hope to get the wing mount fittings tacked in place.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Worked on the firewall flange (not NEARLY as good as Jon mounting his wings... :-) I had tried to use a combination of a mallet and form, fluting pliers, and a shrinker to bend the stainless steel firewall flange. After several hours of frustrating non-progress, I cut the pseudo-bent flange off and made an aluminum flange like the QB kit. WAY easier and it looks good.
        -------------------
        Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
        Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
        RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

• davzLSA
          davzLSA commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds like my journey with the firewall. I beat the flange out first then cut it off and put an aluminum flange on it. I hate working with stainless steel its a PIA, I used my cut off wheel on my die grinder to cut it off. It worked much better than the aviation snips.

Finished labeling the instrument panel. Used the DecalProFx system which looks good when it comes out right but has a steep and somewhat frustrating learning curve. Some of the labels took many tries to get right and a couple worked good the first try.

Comment

Final drilling and taking down windshield and nose cowl installation. Getting them ready for prime and paint. Brent is modding our seats as the seat back angle adjuster was flexing and bending. So adding some more steel to that! He has one fixed and just need to weld on the other one.

Comment

I wouldn't use this as an example of "infectious perseverance", but routering and polishing spar attach plates.
            Mark
            Scratch building Patrol #275
            Hood River, OR

Comment

I worked on brake and fuel lines. I also took the springs out of my struts to test the gear travel for any binding. I know some people have fabricated U-Joints at the strut bottoms to prevent binding. The springs will max out at 2.5" compression. I has happy to find that my gear and struts move freely for the entire 2.5". So there's no need for any U-joint modification for me.

It is rather infections to see all the process you are all making! Cool stuff guys!
              Bobby Stokes
              4-Place Kit Builder
              Queen Creek, AZ
              http://azbearhawk.com

Comment

I welded up my flap and aileron pushrods then test fit them. I might have made airplane noises while turning the flap torque tube to watch the flaps deploy.....

Comment

Taking a lunch break.

Anyone have a pic of their plane similar to this:

Have the dihedral set at 1* and it looks way more pronounced than the other BH I have experience with which looked almost flat.

Comment

This week I built the engine mounts, added all the structure to the bottom of the fuselage for the cowl and covering. The instrument panel , pilot side of the boot cowl and tunnel are skin clipped in place. I still have one side to finish on the boot cowl. That should be done tomorrow.

Comment

Call me a wimp or whatever but I'm pretty mentally exhausted after fiddling with the wings all day. Finally got them to where we were happy and had just enough energy to tack the rear fittings.

Comment

• Chris In Milwaukee
                      Chris In Milwaukee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great idea, tacking the wing fittings while attached to the wings!

• Battson
                      Battson commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You're not a wimp!

My wife recalls working with me to fit the wings and lift the engine as the two most stressful times in our relationship... and we have children :P

• SC Patrol 253
                      SC Patrol 253 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for posting this photo. It is very helpful.

This morning I am reinforcing the edges of my center rib form block with epoxy. This afternoon I think it's gonna take a pounding.

I am making parts making phase. Someday I will run out of parts and will start an assembly process. To see you guys taking a completed assembly and attaching it to another assembly....well, I feel like a student pilot learning who has not yet soloed, and looking up to the instructor thinking "some day I am going to be there too, but I can't believe it!"
                    This gallery has 1 photos.
                    Brooks Cone
                    Southeast Michigan
                    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Working small parts while I am waiting on my tubing kit.
                      This gallery has 2 photos.
                      Stephen B. Murphey
                      Bearhawk LSA
                      Building #L-089

Comment

Today I tightened up all 36 screws on my cylinder head covers.
                        They were all just finger tight after 400 hrs of thermal cycles, and one had started to blow a little old or "smoke".
                        Last edited by Battson; 11-01-2015, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X