Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Datum Skis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Datum Skis

I'm starting an install of Datum 2500 skis on Tyson's four place. Ty went to Boston to pick up the skis from the international depot and delivered them to me Saturday. I've got them in the shop and everything is very nice quality, seems to be well thought out and packaged. The owner of Datum Jean-Marc has been a pleasure to deal with and very responsive to questions, he even emailed me yesterday (sunday) in answer to a concern. I'll keep you all informed as the install progresses.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Very cool! I'm excited to watch this progress. I'm hoping to install a set of Datum 3000s when I get my BH done.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Hey Dave...the skis look great! I have two questions that come to mind. It places quite a bit of load on the end of the axle even though there is a sleeve that runs the length. The other is the amount of thread engagement necessary on the end of the axle. Most have just enough for the axle nut and a couple of threads exposed. Any thoughts?

Comment

The axle insert is a pretty stout unit so that should provide quite a bit of strength, the nut will only hold the insert and tire from coming out - side load if you will. Also with these skis when in ski mode the tire sits on the ski providing support so I don't think all the load is at the end of the insert
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I am excited to hear about the installation also. The current exchange rate is $.75 cents on a dollar making the ski a bargain.

Comment

Made some progress yesterday on the ski install. The first thing is to install new 600's which look real weird on the Bearhawk but that's the biggest tire these skis will take.
            The skis slide onto the axle and mount combo pretty easily. Then I started with the rigging and figuring out the best points for the nose and tail support. AC 43-13 comes in handy here to provide the acceptable methods, it's always a challenge on a tube and fabric airplane to find strong points to mount to but I'll use a combination of the firewall and engine mount points to fab up a bracket for the front and the lower longeron for the rear points. More to come.
            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Interesting; so you have to use 6.00x6 tires or smaller? Of course, I have 8.50x6 tires, so I guess that means a tire swap in autumn and spring.... sigh......

Please keep the updates coming. This is excellent. Pictures are always great, especially where you have structure mods to make (specifically the mount points for the rigging! )
              -------------------
              Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
              Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
              RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

This is so cool! I've always thought the Datums were the sweet setup. You must cap this thread off with a big pow shot.

Comment

Come on out Z, we'll do some flying and you can work your magic.

Comment

Originally posted by rv8bldr View Post
                    Interesting; so you have to use 6.00x6 tires or smaller? Of course, I have 8.50x6 tires, so I guess that means a tire swap in autumn and spring.... sigh......
                    That is why I now own two sets of wheels. One for the 6.00's and one for the 8.50's. ...until I wear out the 8.50's and get a set of 26's. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by N942VT View Post
                      Come on out Z, we'll do some flying and you can work your magic.
                      Hey Z! Come on out and we'll play! As soon as Dave has this thing flying, I'm going to be outside every evening doing a snow dance!

Comment

Originally posted by kestrel View Post
                        Hey Z! Come on out and we'll play! As soon as Dave has this thing flying, I'm going to be outside every evening doing a snow dance!

It could be the perfect storm, guys, figuratively. Bigrenna has been inviting me all year to visit him at Plymouth for a trip up to Maine. If I can sell it just right to the wife to escape our baby girl for a few days, this could be on. Refresh my memory-- Dave is in Vermont, Ty is in Maine?

Comment

Originally posted by Zzz View Post

It could be the perfect storm, guys, figuratively. Bigrenna has been inviting me all year to visit him at Plymouth for a trip up to Maine. If I can sell it just right to the wife to escape our baby girl for a few days, this could be on. Refresh my memory-- Dave is in Vermont, Ty is in Maine?
                          I'm in southern NH and am happy to fly to MA (Plymouth), VT or Maine.

Comment

YouTube needs a video of the Bearhawk powering it's way though snow!!

Comment

Since Dave hasn't uploaded any photos yet, I will post one that he sent me. He says it is ready to be picked up. Lets hope the weather holds out this weekend. I miss my Bearhawk!
                              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                              X