Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance

Thought we would have insurance by now--not so. Read on an earlier post of costs ranging from $2100 to 2500. Wondering who did you get these quotes from? A bit shocked when Avemco just quoted $3100. We both have over 3500 hours taildragger time and they said they wouldn't insure us for any amount of $ for the first 10 hours either. Donna

This has been my current experience with insurance. It has become more expensive.

Comment

You might try Falcon and the EAA insurance program.

Comment

Heather at Regal Aviation Insurance is who I used to insure through and whom I had give me quotes for my 4-place. All I needed was a checkout or previous BH time.

Honestly I'm getting a bit nervous about insurance because I'm so far out of experience and other BHer's are getting quotes that are much higher than the one I got a couple years ago. I just might get priced out of my airplane before it's even done.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Falcon Insurance might be a good place to check. Mark

Comment

Our insurance is still getting cheaper every year.

It's the underwriter who matters to your pricing structure, they decide the price you pay. Find someone brokering with an aviation friendly underwriter. Our underwriter is Lloyd's of London, through a local broker.

The broker doesn't set the price, they are essentially just a middleman taking a cut for the local provision of the service. You want a good broker, but they aren't setting the price.

Comment

I'm still building and don't have insurance yet, but last year I started looking into it. I found that Avemco was nearly double that of Falcon with EAA. Avemco couldn't explain why either.

When you use EAA they automatically include zero deductible from day one and first flight coverage at no additional charge.
              Bobby Stokes
              4-Place Kit Builder
              Queen Creek, AZ
              http://azbearhawk.com

Comment

I've had good experience with Epic Insurance. See info below;

Bill
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I've had a good experience using Bill White Insurance (http://bwifly.com) to handle my 4-place BH for the last two years. My insurance is provided by AIG. I'm a very low-time pilot (a little over 200 hrs total time, about 50 TW and no BH time when I started). The first year the premium was $3,600 based on a $70k hull value, $1m liability and no deductible. The second year I had about 25 BH hours and it went down to $3,200. The only requirements were a few hours (maybe 5) of transition training before solo and an hour of solo before carrying passengers.

Incidentally, I added my CFI buddy who is a 25k hour airline pilot with around 7500 hrs of TW time but no BH time for no additional cost. Only the two named pilots are covered.

Note that coverage for the first 10 hours wasn't an issue for me because when I bought the plane from the original builder it was already well out of Phase I.

For comparison, Avemco quoted around $4,400 for the first year. I didn't bother asking them when it was time to renew.

Comment

Since this morning we have managed to get another quote from the broker we used during the building process. We called 3 weeks ago, not sure what took so long. Squeaky wheel gets the grease I guess. They quoted $1900 ($100 thousand hull and normal liability) with 1 hr. solo and 2 hrs duel and the person doing the dual would have to get the approval of the insurer, who I think was AIG. Moving onto EAA to see what first flight coverage they can do for us before the check is in the mail.

Comment

Now isn't that interesting! You know the plane and it's systems better than anyone, you've got 3,500+ hrs tailwheel time and they want you to get 2 hrs dual... Will the CFI have to get some solo time, for familiarization? Will he/she be covered?
                      insurance company logic...

Bill

Comment

We asked the question about CFI qualifications and she could not answer yes or no. She is continuing to look into it though. Yea, how do you get someone with experience in your experimental aircraft. More importantly to me is the fact it has a glass panel, but they didn't ask that question. I guess if they approve the CFI's credentials, they'll cover him. If I was a CFI I would want to get VERY familiar with an Experimental I was expected to give dual in!! D.

Comment

Just heard from EAA--They will require a CFI to give me a check out and the CFI to have 25 hrs in make and model. Lots of other requirements for the CFI like 750 TT and 250 TW. Cost $2143. Ya have to laugh, or you'd cry.

Comment

The other thing the FAA did was give Dennis a different quote. I have more ratings and about 1000 hrs more tail wheel time and he will pay about $150 less than me. Like i said--laugh or you will cry. D.

Comment

Ok, one more update came in from EAA -- A new quote for me that has lowered the cost to match Dennis'--$2065.

Comment

Working...
                              X