Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack methods for BIG mains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack methods for BIG mains?

I don't see a search function on here... Any tips on tools and techniques to change out my 8.50's for 29's?

I tried to yesterday but the 29's hit the bottom of the floor Jack.

Cate'

Cate, can't help you on your ?, but wondering--Where ya goin?? Donna

Comment

I use an engine hoist. I grab the upper part of the engine mount and lift the entire fuselage. It does get a little tippy so I secure the wing tie downs with rope and a little weight. Mark

Comment

This worked on my Pacer: Remove the cotter pin, place a heavy steel tube into the axle (it needs to be almost a snug fit so it doesn't go off at an angle), jack it up by the tube extending out of the axle, put a jack stand under the inboard part of the axle and lower the jack. Once its down on the jack stand it is fairly stable, enough to swap the wheel. If it seems too unstable, don't do it. It was the only way I could figure on my Pacer and it worked on that. Not sure if it'll work on the Patrol or if I'll be willing to risk dropping a plane that is worth 5 Pacers. I used this technique 4 times without a problem, 8.50s to 31s and back twice. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention to chock the other main and the tailwheel. If you have access to a hoist, I would definitely use Mark's way. I didn't have access at my old hangar.
        Rollie VanDorn
        Findlay, OH
        Patrol Quick Build

Comment

I may try a hoist but wonder if I can grab at the gear leg instead of off the engine.

Donna,

Did you really just finish a two Patrol build? Very impressive. I see you're around Cottage Grove. A favorite overnight stop with that quant hotel across from the airport.

Comment

• Flygirl1
            Flygirl1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Marks method is how we got the plane in take off attitude for fuel flow testing. One side at a time and set blocks under the tires until it was as high as we needed. Lifting at the engine mount didn't hurt a thing. Yea, we really did. I have to agree, it impressed me too. ;-) The Village Green. Never stayed there but have enjoyed their gardens and a beer or two. Give a shout if your ever in town!! Donna

I used the engine lift with a soft rope under the axle. Mike Creek has also spoken of using the top of the engine lift to press up on the bottom of the wing via a wooden plate to spread the load.

Comment

I was able to use an engine hoist to get the wheel up, but was defeated when I tried to get the brake calipers into position. Is there a technique to do that?

Comment

I hate to show my MX ignorance, but how do you get the brakes back together with the big tire installation?
              Attached Files

Comment

It took a minute to figure out what I was seeing. Are you switching from 6 inch wheels to 10 inch? It looks like its basically the same setup but with the rotor recessed inside the wheel so it seems like it should go on the same way. Slide the wheel on until the rotor is against the caliper and if your fingers are small enough to get the brake pad in behind the wheel and hold it to get the bolts started you should be in business. Looks like you might have to use some kind of tool to hold the brake pad in place since it looks like a tight fit. I'm pretty sure that you already know all this stuff, and the reason I wrote all that is so you can point out where you are having trouble, will the wheel not go on far enough, can't get the brake pad in place, caliper rubs on the wheel, etc. Or have you already got it sorted out and you are out enjoying landing with big tires on rough terrain?
                Rollie VanDorn
                Findlay, OH
                Patrol Quick Build

Comment

Originally posted by Rollie View Post
                  It took a minute to figure out what I was seeing. Are you switching from 6 inch wheels to 10 inch? ..........Or have you already got it sorted out and you are out enjoying landing with big tires on rough terrain?
                  I wasn't very clear was I, sorry about that.

I was switching from 6x8.50 to Gar Aero 29's.
                  The brake rotors are set in pretty deep. I did finally get it, after crying uncle and texting with Mike Creek. He gave me his tricks and they worked great.

Here's pix.....
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by DemoDollCate; 04-14-2017, 09:12 PM.

Comment

• Bdflies
                    Bdflies commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I DO like the looks of those tires!!

OK, The suspense is killing me! What was the secret sauce?
                  Jim Parker
                  Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                  RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

I just put a block of wood under the jack.

Oh, and when I ran out of jack travel, I put a block of wood under the axle, lowered the jack, then put another block of wood under the jack.
                    Last edited by Battson; 04-14-2017, 04:51 AM.

Comment

• JimParker256
                      JimParker256 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Makes sense, but I was more interested in how Kate got the brakes back together? Looks "interesting" from her pictures.

• Battson
                      Battson commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I was just responding to the OP ☺

Looks like you did good! I guess you really don't have to worry about getting weeds wrapped around your brakes with that setup.
                    Rollie VanDorn
                    Findlay, OH
                    Patrol Quick Build

Comment

I was able to get the brake pads on with less trouble than I thought. A long skinny allen wrench to hold the bottom brake pad generally in place to get one bolt started, then the other. The top brake pad rested on the bottom one now until I fed in the allen wrench into one of those holes so I could line up the other to get threads started.
                      Much the same as I did with the 8.50's, when it was all said and done.
                      Easy peasy!

Comment

Working...
                      X