Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radial Engine powered Bearhawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radial Engine powered Bearhawk

Monocoupe Aeroplane is proud to announce our "retro fit" kits soon to be available for the Bearhawk Patrol. We are the manufacturer of the new Warner 185X radial engine and have been working on retro fit kits for numerous airplanes, starting with the Bearhawk. We feel that the kit is a great upgrade to an already fabulous airplane and gives the plane a stellar look, and with the anticipated 250+ horsepower, the performance will be unbelievable. Kits will include a new engine mount, all the sheetmetal laser cut for the boot cowling and lower cover, new retro looking instrument panel, stainless steel firewall and fiberglass engine cowling for the 185 Warner. A template is also included for trimming the windshield.. No fabrication necessary- everything is a bolt on. If you are interested in turning your Bearhawk Patrol into a "Grizzly Bearhawk", email us at contact@monocoupe.com
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 6 photos.

That looks really cool! But, 250HP on a Patrol???? Certainly would work on a 4pl, though.... Hmmmmm.....
    -------------------
    Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

Outstanding! I think 250 HP would work just fine!

No such thing as too much money, a girl too pretty or a plane too fast...

Bill

Comment

Interesting project, that is the benefit of an experimental plane you can do what you want. Don't know about the warner engine but it seems like we were always chasing engine leaks in our radial engine. Seems like my flat engine requires half of the maintenance of the round engine. It will be interesting to see what it does to the weight and balance and the view over the engine out the front.

Comment

Originally posted by tailwind View Post
          Interesting project, that is the benefit of an experimental plane you can do what you want. Don't know about the warner engine but it seems like we were always chasing engine leaks in our radial engine. Seems like my flat engine requires half of the maintenance of the round engine. It will be interesting to see what it does to the weight and balance and the view over the engine out the front.
          You had a C-195 as I recall? Yep, I imagine it's a whole 'nuther lifestyle in the maintenance department.

I'm glad you've got yourself a good performer that you're happy with now! Sorry I haven't been up this summer to visit. We'll be in town this weekend, but not sure if I'll get your way. Soon, though, I hope!
          Christopher Owens
          Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
          Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
          Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Weight and balance is a good point. I wonder, does the patrol run into aft CG issues before hitting max gross? Then this engine might not be so bad.
            Mark
            Scratch building Patrol #275
            Hood River, OR

Comment

I really wanted to install a radial on my 4-place but when I was looking I found nothing suitable to what I wanted. At 350lbs and 250hp this 185x would have been great...but I'd never have spent that kind of money on an engine. I wonder what the expected fuel burn is.

Very cool project and it's awesome to see someone doing it....just wish it was me😄
              Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Have Warner or Monocoupe actually manufactured a working 185X engine at this stage?

I've been unable to find any weight or performance data, specifications, or even a photo of a recently manufactured engine.

Comment

If you ask me---I think the main drawback will be the price----
                  I am guessing the price tag will be between 40 and 50K$. On the flip side-- the warner was a very well respected engine in its day.... even compared to P+W (is my understanding)
                  Sadly the cost of building everything now is so much more now than then..... and pool of old school aircraft knowledge is also small-
                  If it could get down into the 30K$ range it could compete with the IO-540 then---- If they can get it down that low They may sell them faster than they can be made. But if you look
                  at the rotec - it seems to have a kind of price barrier thing going--- I dont seem to see too many around----
                  I read about 2 years ago on the web site for the romanian companny that makes M-14's - that they were planning to build a 5 cyl and 7 cyl variants of the m-14 using as many of the
                  same parts as possible. havnt checked up on that lately. Of coarse they too may have a price point barrier too.-- since they are new and not cold war surplus...
                  I was seariously considering a culp special. But M-14's have gotten so high now--- not so much a bargain anymore. A slightly smaller engine on a skybolt might be good too----
                  250 hp range maybe--- I hope the warner folks try that too ! That should be super sweet ! Would make a nice re-power for all the fairchilds too. with double the HP too !
                  T

Comment

What happened to the engine company? Anyone know?

Comment

I have not seen any sign that they have sold a complete engine so far. I heard they had accumulated some NOS parts ----
                      Have they sold one yet ? I cant seem to find out----

and- I would think the round firewall would fit better and look better on the 4 place than the patrol. And 250 HP wouild be plenty I think for the 4 place..... and easier to fare in-----

Comment

Working...
                      X