Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windshield Defrost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield Defrost

What have you guys done for windshield defrost?

I don't really want to have the associated pluming for real defrost from the heater system so I'm considering putting a vent centered in the boot cowl and a mounting a small computer fan below it to blow air on the windshield. My Luscombe didn't have defrost so I just left the window cracked till just before takeoff and that kept the windshield clear.

290x218_2010134_1769065_1459326220.jpg

mainv.jpg
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

We mounted a small eye ball vent in the glare shield that could be moved around to point where we wanted and also can be closed. We used a Y section plumbing piece that comes off the firewall at the heat box with flexable hose to the glare shield at the eye ball vent. The fan is small enough it fits tight in the Y section plumping piece. Has it’s own switch on the panel and works great. Just enough heat to defrost but not so much to worry about overheating the windshield.
    Last edited by Flygirl1; 01-09-2018, 10:35 PM.

Comment

We found that hot air from the engine compartment is the only thing hot enough to defrost immediately, until you take off, then it clears up fast.

I didn't install one because I like the plumbing either. I have only missed it on a few occasions. Nice to have

Comment

We used a computer fan, like you picture, mounted in the glare shield with a course screen over it. It runs all the time to cool the avionics and blows onto the windshield. Don't really know how effectively it defrosts because I haven't flown in the cold much and airplane is hangared.

Comment

I'm thinking an 80mm computer fan on pilot and co-pilot sides of the glare shield always running to cool the avionics. If it doesn't provide enough defrost capability will have to retrofit a vent off the cabin heat.

Comment

Thanks for sharing what you guys have done or plan to do. I'm not looking to melt ice off the windshield but rather just keep it from fogging up without having to open a window.

Comment

Originally posted by rodsmith View Post
              I'm thinking an 80mm computer fan on pilot and co-pilot sides of the glare shield always running to cool the avionics. If it doesn't provide enough defrost capability will have to retrofit a vent off the cabin heat.
              Exactly what I plan to do.
              Dave B.
              Plane Grips Co.
              www.planegrips.com

Comment

I don’t have one either, so far it has not been a problem. Perhaps I have too many air leaks.

Comment

I might go with two fans because my shelf for remote mounted avionics is likely in the way of a center mounted fan. Either way the fan/s will be on a switch.

I plan to put my BH on skis so one scenario could be jumping in the plane after getting it unstuck and fogging up the windshield because you and the pax are breathing heavy.

Comment

I had one of these in my Glastar. With a lot of heat under the dash the little fan kept the center of the windscreen clear until I got in the air. Pictures are of the Patrol.
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Working...
                    X