Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 Place Instrument Panel Template / Dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Place Instrument Panel Template / Dimensions

I am not a Bearhawk builder (yet!), and I am in the process of purchasing a used and completed 4-Place. When I acquire this particular 4-Place, I will replace and upgrade the instrument panel. Because I do not have a set of plans, I am searching for a template of the panel with dimensions that I can supply to the panel builder. I have searched high and low on Google before coming over here and bothering you fine folks! I realize I can use paper or cardboard to create a template, but was hoping foe something more specific. Thanks in advance!
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

Hey Rob! Unless you also want to rebuild the boot cowl, your only choice that I can see is to wait until you take out the old one and make the new one to match. The panel shape is not standard at all on scratch builts, and it is only marginally standard on kits.

Comment

I don’t think that you will find a template that will fit your plane due to the custom nature of our planes. My guess is that there are no two planes the same since we were not built in a jig with matched hole tooling. Your best bet is to make a paper pattern

Comment

My favorite way to make a pattern of anything that is in a difficult place is just taping (or a few "tabs" of hot glue) a center strip in place over the original, and then hot glueing some kind of strips in place. I usually just use a piece of doorskin, and then cuts strips of deerskin and hot glue them to the outline of the piece. Remove the completed pattern, and transfer it to.......the rest of the doorskin for a complete pattern and cut it out with a jigsaw or similar.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I now understand these panels are unique for each build, which creates a few challenges for me. After the purchase, I will fly the new 4-Place (new for me) 1,500nm to its new home in North Carolina. I really want the panel updated before making the trip. The existing panel has only a VOR and without Mode C.

The seller is also a Bearhawk builder that resides in Canada. While not the builder of this particular plane (he is currently building a really cool Patrol) he will be making some modifications to the 4-Place for me. Including offering to install a new panel if I can get it to him. But we can’t send off the existing panel as we don’t want to ground the plane. So therein lies my conundrum… How do I get a panel made without sending off the existing panel? I guess we are back to paper and cardboard.
          Rob Caldwell
          EAA Chapter 309
          1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

I am sure you have some really good ideas. When I look at someone else’s work I think why didn’t I think of that. these are my thoughts:
            1. If at all possible don’t put the engine controls below the panel structural tube. Do build the panel in several parts. Place the engine controls on there own panel section so that they don’t need to be removed when you want to service something behind the panel.
            2. Do put the radio Stack on there own panel section so you can access them easily
            3. Do include extra wire in the radio stack and electrical wiring so that systems can be removed and serviced.
            4. In my case I have an electronic panel. I used remote radios mounted behind the front panel to conserve front panel space for future installation of an ifr radio.

Comment

For a rough guesstimate, however, take a look at the old Yahoo! Bearhawk group In the files section. Builder Lynn Riggs uploaded a DWG version of the panel. Not sure if it was based on the QB or scratch version (I think the QB panel is a bit taller... I think). Lots of other reference material out there, too, for those who are newer to the community.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!
              Christopher Owens
              Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
              Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
              Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Originally posted by tailwind View Post
                I am sure you have some really good ideas. When I look at someone else’s work I think why didn’t I think of that. these are my thoughts:
                1. If at all possible don’t put the engine controls below the panel structural tube. Do build the panel in several parts. Place the engine controls on there own panel section so that they don’t need to be removed when you want to service something behind the panel.
                2. Do put the radio Stack on there own panel section so you can access them easily
                3. Do include extra wire in the radio stack and electrical wiring so that systems can be removed and serviced.
                4. In my case I have an electronic panel. I used remote radios mounted behind the front panel to conserve front panel space for future installation of an ifr radio.
                Good stuff! Thanks TW!
                Rob Caldwell
                EAA Chapter 309
                1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

I like the layout but passengers do not. I would not spend the time to put it under. I would split the panel into more sections so that access would be even easier. Mount the engine controls on there own section above the structural tube so that you don’t need to remove them during service. If this picture will blow up you may be able to see what I did.
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• robcaldwell
                    robcaldwell commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great idea! The pictures are quite helpful.

Rob - that Bearhawk was built from plans. Not a kit. So you can not know the size of the instrument panel without making a pattern of the actual panel.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Goldberg View Post
                    Rob - that Bearhawk was built from plans. Not a kit. So you can not know the size of the instrument panel without making a pattern of the actual panel.
                    Thanks, Mark! That's what we'll do.
                    Rob Caldwell
                    EAA Chapter 309
                    1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

I have my panel uncut if you want I can draw it out on paper and send it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by muleyman78 View Post
                        I have my panel uncut if you want I can draw it out on paper and send it to you.
                        That would be fantastic muleyman! I can then add to or take away from yours to fine tune it to mine. I will send you a private message with my address. Thanks so much!
                        Rob Caldwell
                        EAA Chapter 309
                        1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Working...
                        X