Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oratex nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting comparison of fabrics and weight here from ERAU: https://commons.erau.edu/cgi/viewcon...&context=jaaer

Comment

Once a year, whether it needs it or not, I scrub down the belly of the Rans S-7, part of my annual inspection. I use some spray household cleaner, some kind of citrus based all purpose cleaner, nothing special, but I have found the citrus based household cleaners pretty effective. It occurred to me, while on the creeper under the plane, scrubbing away, what if this was Oratex? Anyone care to report how oil and dirt cleans off of it, and what do you use?

Comment

• zkelley2
        zkelley2 commented
        Editing a comment
        I use avgas in a garden sprayer to clean oil. Cheapest solvent out there.

Otherwise the aircraft grade simple green works well and doesn't destroy aluminum.

• Bdflies
        Bdflies commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve found Belly Soap. (https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...All%20Products ). This stuff cleans oil and crud, as well as anything, but cleans exhaust residue better than I expected.
        I didn’t know Simple Green had an ‘Aircraft Grade'. I need to try that!

Bill

Old thread, but Oratex is my plan at this time. Reading this thread I learned that I can buy paint from Oratex to paint the cowling to match the fuselage.

Why Oratex? Does not have 4+ paint coatings. More durable. Easier to patch/repair.

Only downside to me is the lack of shine.

I am going with polished wings because a guy at my home field did it on his 4 Place and it looks fantastic.

So, silver for the flaps and ailerons as well as horizontal stabilizer and elevator/trim. Sky blue for wingtips and cowling to match the fuselage

I am thinking the small N-numbers on the vertical stabilizer…. Harder to identify from the ground
      N678C
      https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
      Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Oratex was my plan and I purchase the silver UL6000. I deeply regret that decision. I thought I did all my research and spent the money. Now I have seen several examples of the product starting to lift where the adhesive did not bond. I've decided to go with Stewart's System. I'm willing to accept a small weight penalty for long term reliability. If anyone is interested in UL6000 silver to cover a Bearhawk 4 place please contact me.

Comment

• nellie2110
          nellie2110 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry to hear, I sent a private message to you.

SeanB. Our B model 4 Place was covered in Oratex White UL6000. It has been flying around in the harsh New Zealand weather conditions for two years now without a problem.

An edge on a flap lifted and you could see that the adhesive had not be fully applied right up to the edge. The edge was cleaned up, adhesive applied and heated and it stuck down without a problem.

We are also building another A model 4 place and are using white Oratex again. Quite happy with it.

Problems only seem to arise if the Oratex instructions are not strictly followed.

Comment

• Battson
          Battson commented
          Editing a comment
          I think your final sentence could be the most prophetic.
          If you look at the other white A model Bearhawk, they have had a number of locations where tapes lifted, got dirt under, and cannot be repaired so easily. After many years it's still not fixed - maybe not every repairman's dream fabric? But I bet it is easy if one get's onto it immediately.
          That said, my gear legs have just as much duct tape on them, for years and years - sometimes it doesn't matter.
      Working...
      X