Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on engine selections......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once it’s moving and warm, it’s smooth. First 30 seconds or so when it’s really cold it’s shaky, and shutdown of course. But I would like to get a dynamic balance. But it did prompt the question if there’s a counterbalanced 360.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Chris In Milwaukee View Post
      Once it’s moving and warm, it’s smooth. First 30 seconds or so when it’s really cold it’s shaky, and shutdown of course. But I would like to get a dynamic balance. But it did prompt the question if there’s a counterbalanced 360.
      Turns out this was an ignorant question on my part. I had the wrong idea about why counterweights are used. Here’s a good explanation. Apologies for the distraction!

OK, I am going to admit my own lack of knowledge here. Aside from the obvious, just what exactly is the difference between a counterweighted and non-counterweighted engine? Under what conditions would you want one or the other? What are the relative advantages and disadvantages to either and any...

Christopher Owens

Comment

Not an ignorant question at all. It prompted curiosity and led to shared knowledge!

If your O-360 is that rough, on startup, I'd really take a hard look at the spark plugs and maybe the wires. When the plugs get fouled or gaps widen a bit, mis firing appears as roughness.

Bill

Comment

Annual found 6 out-of-spec plugs and mags a few degrees out. I’m sure I’ll have a “new plane” in a couple of weeks when the exhaust rebuild gets back!
          Christopher Owens

Comment

Working...
          X