Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying wires group purchase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... and by we, I mean.... I.... are there known concerns?

Comment

Originally posted by quadra View Post
      i am aware of hydrogen embrittlment in specific industrial ( high pressure petrochemical process ) environments... is this a concern in refurbished components?.... are there specific known failure modes we need to know about?
      It is a concern in plated high-strength steel parts.

Comment

• zkelley2
        zkelley2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Would that not be a concern on all of our hardware then? Bolts, etc?

Originally posted by marcusofcotton View Post

It is a concern in plated high-strength steel parts.
      I’m also interested in what you are aiming towards. Not saying it’s not a concern, just interested in what additional issues you’d be concerned about in refurbished parts like he mentioned.
      John Wiltberger
      Model B - #1544B
      Maricopa, AZ

Comment

• zkelley2
        zkelley2 commented
        Editing a comment
        I read a few pages on hydrogen embrittlement, and I'm still not really sure how it applies to this and if it does, it looks like it's apply to every single fastener on the aircraft.

Russ has a wonderful website and shares some of how they've gotten where they are, kudos to him! Some folks, including some platers, are not aware of hydrogen embrittlement issues. Being the refurbished steel parts are nickle plated, that means they are susceptible to hydrogen embrittlement if specific care is not taken to avoid it. Having heard of a number of instances of cracks in tail wires/struts, I'm concerned, for myself and others, thus my inquiry.

We are concerned about most fasteners on the airplane, that's why we buy AN hardware.
      Last edited by marcusofcotton; 08-28-2019, 08:40 PM.

Comment

I made my own round tail wires at a cost of $75/each. Steen was quoting $135 each. I started with 1/4" 4130 round stock and had a local shop centerless grind them to .226" diameter (root diameter of a 1/4-28 thread) and then machine roll left and right hand threads on them. I sent a sample to Bob who said they looked really good. You might investigate making your own.
        Tailwire.jpg
        Attached Files

Comment

• Bcone1381
          Bcone1381 commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you roll those threads in your shop, or source that job out too?

Same shop did both operations. I just cut material to exact length and specified 1-1/4” of thread on each end.

Comment

Another option for those who are interested. I had Burl's Aircraft(https://www.burlac.com/index.html) in Chugiak make them. He had them to me in a few days. Total was $230, wires only.

Comment

Working...
          X