Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for trim pushrod protrusion examples through H Stab fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for trim pushrod protrusion examples through H Stab fabric

Here's what I came up with based on everyone's help here. Probably didn't need to be quite so big...

(Ooops! I did not intend intend to delete my original question. Just wanted to insert my result under it. In my question, I was basically asking how others managed to created a transition from the trim actuator tube to the trim tab pushrod. Thanks for the feedback!)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by robcaldwell; 07-05-2018, 10:27 AM.
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

I used a bit of aluminium on the fabric for the nut/bolt to wear against, with a fabric patch over the top. This was in lieu of a heavy fabric doubler.
    There wasn't enough clearance between the fabric and the nut/bolt, so they wear against each other. As a result, it wasn't a roaring success.
    The aluminium has worked pretty effectively at keeping the fabric from getting ragged, but the "smoke" makes a mess, where the steel bolt/nut rub against it.
    I think bare with a doubler patch fabric would be a lot worse for wear.

I think a little rounded faring would be a lot nicer, I didn't think of that at the time.

Comment

Rob, like many things there are various ways to deal with this. On one plane I used an aluminum inspection cover on the bottom with a slot cut out for the downward flat piece to move fore and aft. That is my favorite way as access is nice to have there also. Mark

Comment

Rob, this is what I did there, my ceconite will be attached to and through the opening of this little 4041 plate
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

The top of the arm is close to my fabric but does not seem to be a problem yet. It is something that I will continue to inspect at annual. Gerhard has the best solution for the arm to pass through the fabric on the bottom but having said that I just covered the arm with fabric then cut a small opening and put a fabric doubler over the slotted opening.

Comment

This is what I made for the hinges of the rudder as well as the elevators. 2024 T3 that will be glued to the fabric, just for interest sake.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• Bcone1381
              Bcone1381 commented
              Editing a comment
              I am glad I have not started the fabric yet. You solve issues that I have not even yet thought about.

Same here. Thanks for the pics.

Comment

• Gerhard Rieger
              Gerhard Rieger commented
              Editing a comment
              I learn a lot and if what I do can help others, I am very glad.

Well done. looking great

Comment

It is great to see different solutions to the same problem. i might use a combo of the two pictures above. 1 layer of composite glued to the elevator like Gerhards steel slot. Glue the Oratex to that. Then another smaller doubler on the outside of the fabric.

Rob, your plates look so nice, I might use metal like you did for the outside doubler. Or just a thin plate of CF.
              Last edited by svyolo; 07-06-2018, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X