Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Static Shoulder Harness vs. Inertia Reels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Static Shoulder Harness vs. Inertia Reels

Is everyone installing inertia reels for their shoulder harnesses (4 Place). If using static shoulder harnesses, are you slacking them to reach the flaps handle / fuel selector? I see that Mark has established a relationship with Hooker Harness for better pricing. Trying to decide what to go with. Thanks!
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

I use static shoulder harnesses. Yes, must be loosened to reach flap handle & fuel valves.

Comment

There is something that a DAR or FAA inspector is supposed to check on final inspection. That is that the pilot can reach the flaps and fuel selector valve WITHOUT taking off the shoulder harness. Whether just loosening the shoulder harness would be an issue is probably up to the individual inspector. But for this reason it would seem an inertial reel is a good idea. Mark

Comment

I installed an inertial reel for the pilot only to be able to reach the flap and fuel selector. Why not passenger side? I don't expect the passenger to operate the flaps, the reel (Hooker) is large, heavy and an extra $100.

Comment

I have installed the inertial reel Hooker shoulder harness Y configuration and find it functional and high quality. I can access any cockpit function smoothly without false lockup of the harness.

Kevin Deutscher

Comment

If you are ever flying in a group of aircraft, or flying in the mountains, then you would definitely want an inertia reel in my experience. You will want to lean forward regularly to look around prior to making turns, or during turns.

Personally I like to lean out when I flare too.

Comment

Working...
            X