Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finding Appropriate Cowl Fasteners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding Appropriate Cowl Fasteners

I've seen a few discussions here... But, I have yet to find anywhere the outright detail of the exact fastener combination for a flush mounted cowling screw.

I prefer a flush mount vs. pan head. And I understand the benefits of cadmium plated vs. SS

AS carries the MS24694 machine screw and the K1100-08 dimpled nut plate. Is this the appropriate combination?

Also, I assume it is appropriate to use the G-8 Tinnerman Washer in this combination.

Or, do I have this all wrong?

Thanks!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

I think most builders use quarter turn fasteners.

I ordered mine from here but can't remember if I used the 2000 or 4000 series.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

If you're referring to the cowl doors most folks are using some kind of quarter turn like Whee said. I'm considering using a piano hinge like this example:

If you're asking about the other peripheral fasteners I'm just using regular K1000-06 nutplates and MS24693 #6 screws.
      Dave B.
      Plane Grips Co.
      www.planegrips.com

Comment

Ooh yeah, good catch Archer. It didn't even cross my mind that Rob was asking about cowling screws Sorry Rob.

We used K1100-08 nut plates but I can't remember if we used 507 or 509 flush screws.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer39J View Post
          If you're referring to the cowl doors most folks are using some kind of quarter turn like Whee said. I'm considering using a piano hinge like this example:

If you're asking about the other peripheral fasteners I'm just using regular K1000-06 nutplates and MS24693 #6 screws.
          I am referring to the ENTIRE cowling system. I do not want to rivet everything together. I want to have complete access. I saw a Husky last weekend with this fastener configuration. The owner said he loves it.
          Rob Caldwell
          EAA Chapter 309
          1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

• Archer39J
            Archer39J commented
            Editing a comment
            Same, I'm using screws everywhere I can for easier access.

Thanks guys! For the record and for others coming through this post... I have ordered MS24693 screws and K1100 dimpled nut plates. Is anyone using a tinnerman washer between the screw and nutplate?
          Rob Caldwell
          EAA Chapter 309
          1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

• jaredyates
            jaredyates commented
            Editing a comment
            I only use the washer on fiberglass, no reference to back that up other than personal preference.

Originally posted by robcaldwell View Post

I am referring to the ENTIRE cowling system. I do not want to rivet everything together. I want to have complete access. I saw a Husky last weekend with this fastener configuration. The owner said he loves it.
          I am confused by the above quote.

Bob's patrol Book uses no rivets, and offers complete access. Correction.....rivets attach the R and L cowl door hinges the cowl top section. Bob's plan uses eight 1/4 turn fasteners to secure the cowl door in the closed position. It attaches the upper center section and lower cowl to the nose bowl and firewall flange using #8 screws and cut plates.

Thats how I plan to do it. But I like the hinge pin idea mentioned by Dave to secure the cowl door closed instead of 1/4 turn fasteners. I am keeping an open mind about that.
          Last edited by Bcone1381; 11-10-2018, 10:30 AM. Reason: clarification
          Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Different Strokes . Cowling locking system . Stinger
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Working...
            X