Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cover 1st or FWF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cover 1st or FWF

I am getting ready to start the boot cowl and FWF. Any thoughts on whether to cover the fuselage first? It seems easier to do if on a rotisserie. Maybe cover the bottom first? I will be using Oratex so painting is not a concern.

I’d do the fabric first but since your not painting it really doesn’t matter.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I suggest leaving the fabric work until the last. Mark

Comment

I agree with Mark 100%

Comment

Yeah I was worried about forgetting something after covering.

Comment

I was planning on fabric before my FWF so I can use my rotisserie. When doing FWF before fabric do you take everything back off to accommodate the rotisserie or work around it? I'm using Stewarts and already have my first aileron complete. Just wondering the pros and cons? Thanks
            I forgot to mention that in my case the boot cowl is finished.
            Last edited by interstate al; 11-18-2018, 08:08 PM.

Comment

I would do the boot cowl first, before covering - too close for comfort otherwise. Sharp metal going all over the place. Firewall forward you can do after covering provided you have assurance you've not forgotten anything.

Comment

My impression is that progress is much slower when working in and on a covered fuselage. I strongly suggest doing as much as you can, on every system, before covering.
                I pulled the engine mount off the airframe, to cover the fuselage. Taping and masking to paint wasn’t too bad.

Bill

Comment

I think I will pull the engine to cover. I think the time to R&I the engine will be more than offset by time saved covering on a Rotisserie, and my back will thank me later.

Comment

Here is my process:

1. Build airplane and all of its systems.
                    2. Disassemble airplane.
                    3. Cover and paint.
                    4. Reassemble airplane.

This is mostly for the fuse, I haven't started the wings.

The reason is because you ensure that your airplane is serviceable, you don't scratch the paint, and you are sure not to forget anything.

It takes longer, but honestly, once everything is fabricated and ready to go, I could dissemble the airplane in a weekend, and put it back together in another weekend, especially if I had some help.

schu

Comment

Working...
                    X