Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skylight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skylight

Has anyone explored the possibility of installing a skylight without welding, maybe a floating frame, aluminum or cellulose acetate butyrate resin. To be cemented to fabric like an inspection plate ring. Lexus lense. Simplicity and light weight is the goal. The picture for the shape not the supporting structure. Thanks

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

I have incorporated a 3 piece skylight that consist of an
    aluminum frame bolted into existing structure. The 3 lexan panels float in the aluminum frame. Overall pleased with the end results. I will try to take and then figure out how to post a photo in the next few days.

Kevin D
    # 272

Comment

• AKKen07
      AKKen07 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d love to see that too! Thx

Skylight shots, first attempt at posting photos!
    photos worth 5K words!
    This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

• svyolo
      svyolo commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting. I remember you writing about doing this. Happy with the results so far?

Stringer line and Bearhawk Hump maintained.
    Plexi is sandwiched between inner and outer layer of
    aluminum. Inner is 5052 formed with recessed joggle to
    nest plexi.
    Skylight runs from front windshield to rear spar line.

see previous post

Kevin D

Comment

What did you use to seal the plexiglass and alum8num to keep water Out?

Comment

A tape type substance that looks, acts, seals like the
        wet location self bonding double sided electrical tape.
        it may leak but you are not getting it apart. 🤓

Comment

I really like your skylight! I was going to use Steve’s Aircraft STC’d skylight as a model for my BH...not no more....

Comment

Looks nice, trying to figure out how you terminated the fabric at the rear spar area. There must be a structure that spans from the sides of the fuselage to the stringers and in between the two. I have an early kit, the stringer set up is quite different. Any suggestions appreciated.
            This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Well, I do not have photos but here is a clumsy description.
              Created a welded truss made from 1/2 x .035 square tube. The truss goes above the rear spar carry through
              from sides up to stringer attach points, between the stringers, down to the other side and back across the top of the carry through. This “bridge truss” member
              is then placed in front of and up against the stringer uprights. Secure with bare Adel clamps, lock wire wraps, strapping, Dutchman clamps or ??????
              Just make it solid and fair to the stringers and fabric line. I placed some tabs facing aft to screw the aluminum to. See previous photos.
              The top fuselage covering terminated on the truss and then additional fabric was run from the truss to rear spar carry through. You will need to make some Z clips to attach the aluminum skin sandwich to the going forward stringers.
              It was a bit of a PITA to form the joggles in the lower interior piece to create the recess for the plexi.
              But in the end all finished out I am very pleased.

hope that helps

Kevin D

Comment

Bearhawk272, I love the 3 pane skylight! I thought about a 2 piece for my LSA but decided it was easier to modify the stringer and go with a single piece. The LSA only has 1 stringer. Had I seen this prior to my mods I think I would have went that way. Thanks for the pics!

Comment

This is per Steve’s Aircraft skylight STC. The sheet metal is reinforced using 3/8” channel from Univair.

Comment

Finished version less the aileron pulley covers. Is finished using 0.028” kydex. 0.025” 2024T3 wing root covers with headset jacks..
                    Last edited by Mark Moyle; 01-01-2019, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Nicely done Mark!

Comment

Kevin;
                        The outside and inside pieces of aluminum for your skylight are each made out of a single sheet of aluminum, and put a joggle (recess) all the way around the inside piece to capture the plexiglass? That last step might be a bit beyond my current metal working skills, but the result sure looks nice.

Comment

Originally posted by lamarglobe View Post
                          Looks nice, trying to figure out how you terminated the fabric at the rear spar area. There must be a structure that spans from the sides of the fuselage to the stringers and in between the two. I have an early kit, the stringer set up is quite different. Any suggestions appreciated.
                          Here's what I did... I lowered the "Hump" stringers to be level with the outside stringers. Then I welded tabs at station D and filled the span with aluminum angles to receive the fabric from the rear, and will attach the rear of the skylight. Here's the entire write up: https://bearhawk4place.blogspot.com/...-skylight.html

This gallery has 1 photos.
                          Rob Caldwell
                          Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
                          EAA Chapter 309
                          Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
                          YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
                          1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Working...
                          X