Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on fixing screwup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on fixing screwup

Hi there again everyone,
    I covered my fuselage with fabric without thinking properly far enough ahead. I didn’t think about the mounts for the front flap pulleys and now there is no way to get the bolt to hold the pulley behind the fabric as it is too taunt. I did have the rear pulleys mounted but failed to mount the front ones. I don’t think I can MEK the area and unglue it as everything is pretty tight right now. Wondering if anyone has a possbile fix. With the pulley inside the fabric can the bolt head be on the exterior or will that be too noticeable and a problem?

Pulley is on the out side.

Comment

I poked a hole in the fabric, installed the bolt, and patched the hole.

Comment

Remember you wont see that area because it's behind the wing, so you can leave a gaping hole and nobody is going to notice.

Photos would help us understand what you mean, as there are a number of possible problems.

Comment

This thread title would be a good "sticky" for the forum. A whole history of common screw ups, and how to fix them. I could add a few myself :<)

Comment

Probably more of us missed something like this than didn't. That's a good place to do it since it won't be easily seen. Like Jared said, punch/cut/poke a hole, glue a fabric patch on and move on. In the end it will just look like you meant to do it to reinforce the fabric around the bolt hole. It's just one of those things that is disappointing at first and completely inconsequential later.
            Rollie VanDorn
            Findlay, OH
            Patrol Quick Build

Comment

Maybe I'm not fully understanding but I'm with Gavin on this one. The front flap pulley is outside the fabric; you didn't screw up anything. I purposefully didn't install the front pulleys till the airplane was covered and painted. I then poked a hole in the fabric with a soldering iron and installed the pulley.
              Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Working...
              X