Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are plastic cable ties acceptable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are plastic cable ties acceptable?

I'm planning to run Van's conduit for wiring to the wingtips. Is it acceptable to secure it to the ribs with plastic cable ties? How about pitot/AoA tubing - must it run through grommets or can it run though lightening holes in ribs and secured with cable ties? I don't want to be cheap or unsafe (well, maybe cheap ...) but lightweight and simple seems desirable. Thanks.

I would recommend you refer to the AC 43.13. Do what it recommends and you will be safe.

Comment

In my opinion I would only use cable ties in an area where they can be easily inspected and replaced. Plastics tend to dry and become brittle. They can also vibrate against a surface and cause wear. I would opt for cushion clamps.

Comment

• Ray Strickland
        Ray Strickland commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree: plastic cable ties will need replacing in a few years.

OK, I'll avoid plastic cable ties. I started by referring to AC 43.13, and saw descriptions of bundling wires. I was preparing to do that, but noticed that many folks on this forum are installing conduit, and conduit also seems to be the standard in the RV world.

Comment

I see no problem running in a conduit but for additional weight. If I am running a small number of wires I would organize them neatly and tie them with waxed cord about every 8 - 10 inches. A small bundle I would run in a grommet in the rib. For a larger bundle I would rivet a small aluminum angle on the rib and run the bundle through a cushion clamp fastened to the angle bracket.

Comment

Thanks Tailwind, that sounds like a good approach.

Comment

I just ran them through grommets in the nose ribs and used Thomas & Betts Ty-Rap TY23M 4in. Milspec and they hold for years. They are not the same as the Home Depot or Horror Freight wraps...save those for wiring utility trailers and such. Used them on military aircraft all the time. AS sells them: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...-cableties.php

Comment

I don’t know if I’d trust the standard cheapo HF/Big Box tie wraps a for much on my plane. I did buy some of these which are great and designed by experimental builders for aircraft. They have a silicone lining inside and are reusable. Expensive though...

https://www.amazon.com/GRIPLOCKTIES-...-1-spons&psc=1
              Dave B.
              Plane Grips Co.
              www.planegrips.com

Comment

In a dark, warm, and oily environment like the engine compartment, the el-cheapo cable ties actually hold up for a long time. Six years so far and no sign of giving up, despite the vibration.

Comment

Working...
                X