Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auxiliary Tanks - bypassing them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auxiliary Tanks - bypassing them?

Hi Guys

yeah, so like many builders, I've inherited my wings half completed - which is great, because I'm closer to finishing, but then I'm locked into design decisions I might not have chosen myself.

I'm drilling off and finishing up the aux tank installation:

Reading through Bearhawks 2005, it seems Bob wasn't a huge fan of the aux tanks in terms of performance.
    However, Australia's a big continent, and it makes sense to have them for touring out west.

So I'm thinking, I'll fit out the wings for the aux tanks, then remove the tanks, the straps and run a flex line from the outlet to the vent, and put a collar on the aux tank pump circuit breakers.

Best of both worlds?

Can anyone tell me why this wouldn't work fine?
    I'll make up a blanking plate for the aux tank fuel filler hole.

Ok, thanks for any input,

James
    The Barrows Bearhawk: Who knew my wife could get jealous of a plane?

You don’t HAVE to fill them! I don’t think the weight you are going to save on a day-to-day basis is worth all the extra work you are going to have to do to refit them when you need them.

Comment

Like PaulSA said, either just put them in and leave them empty when not in use or do what you can to completely take them out permanently. You will never install/remove them later.

My Bearhawk is sitting outside in front of the house getting loaded for a trip to Utah from New Hamshire (USA). It has 100 gallons of fuel in it for flying across the country.

Comment

If the weight of the fuel tank is the performance difference you need to make it in and out of somewhere, you need a cub. Probably with slats.

Comment

I decided not to do the aux tanks as well. I think there will be a small number of times that I will want to carry a bunch of gas. I didn't think an extra 18 gallons would cut it on those occasions. For me, the extra weight on every flight wasn't worth it. If I want to carry more gas very occasionally, I will carry a bladder, or cans of gas in floats.

If your plans for your plane would often be enhanced by an extra hour and a half of gas, then aux tanks are a good idea. I didn't think that was my case.

If the aux tanks were a lot bigger, I might have been interested.

Comment

I haven't weighed the AUX tanks but I can't believe that the total installation weight including pipes and pumps can be more than 40lb.

Do it or don't do it - don't screw around........

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
              Mark Goldberg commented
              Editing a comment
              I have always thought that the aux tanks, fuel lines, and transfer pumps totaled around 30 lbs. But you might be correct. It might be 40 lbs. Mark

• PaulSA
              PaulSA commented
              Editing a comment
              40lb was a total guess!

In the RSA we have the Northern Cape and there is almost no fuel available there. I once planned a trip to GURU Pan with a C172 and would have had to land halfway there for fuel and twice coming back before reaching my destination. With my Bearhawk and aux tanks, I will be able to go there and back with fuel to spare carrying three on board and baggage. When not in use I will just drain them dry. Nice to have options. I understand it is not a fair comparison between the Bearhawk and the Cessna, just to prove my point.

Comment

• svyolo
              svyolo commented
              Editing a comment
              My next project after this one flies might be a second set of wings. 100+ gallons of gas, and Keller flaps. Scratch built. I wouldn't mind aux tanks. If I have them, I want bigger ones. I am not sure how often I will need it. A removable fuselage or belly tank might be a better choice for me. I am not sure yet.
          Working...
          X