Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IO540 Air filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IO540 Air filter

Hello all,
    Does anyone have any experience of fitting an IO540 to the 4 seater and how did you configure the air intake/filter system?
    Has anyone intstalled a Rod Bower ram air filter ?
    Thanks

I used a James aircraft intake system. It uses a conical K&N filter. https://www.jamesaircraft.com/products/air-filter-kits/ Has a provision for alternate air taken inside the cowling.

Comment

Originally posted by rodsmith View Post
      I used a James aircraft intake system. It uses a conical K&N filter. https://www.jamesaircraft.com/products/air-filter-kits/ Has a provision for alternate air taken inside the cowling.
      I did the same, except I fabricated my own housing to fit the BH cowl. It was not hard or especially time consuming.

Comment

I bought the Van's FAB360/540 airbox kit. Mark Scott has that on his BH and it was a very clean installation.

Comment

Battson,

Do you have alternate air? The jamesaircraft setup looks like it has this nice spring flap that works for alternate air without needing any more cables/knobs in the cockpit which is kinda nice....

Comment

alaskabearhawk: It seems the Van's FAB360/540 airbox kit is only available for the vertical intake draft.

I have converted my vertical updraft to horizontal on my FM-150 fuel sensor with the 95 degree elbow from Airflow Performance. I also purchased MK1 fuel filter housing from James Aircraft. After reading Battson's experience and his consideration I am concerned this won't work. My goal is to plumb from the lower nose bowl to the MK1. Not sure what to use. Scat tube seems too flimsy and turbulent for clean airflow.
            Rob Caldwell
            Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
            EAA Chapter 309
            Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
            YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
            1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by schu View Post
              Battson,

Do you have alternate air? The jamesaircraft setup looks like it has this nice spring flap that works for alternate air without needing any more cables/knobs in the cockpit which is kinda nice....
              Yes I do, it's a must-have from my perspective. Same design as the James Aircraft one - trap door at the back.

Except I wanted indication that the trap door has opened - telling me that either a) filter has blocked, or b) the door is open for some other reason. When the door is open I am not getting full power (ram air) and I am not getting filtration. Both are bad things.

I thought about using the spring-loaded door and a position switch, but I decided there is no way a position switch is going to be reliable and long-lasting attached directly to the engine.

I decided to use a push-pull control. The control isn't a locking one, just a free slide, so the trap door can open under suction as required. I also like to have the choice of controlling it and testing it as part of my pre-takeoff checks.
              Last edited by Battson; 07-03-2019, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by robcaldwell View Post
                alaskabearhawk: It seems the Van's FAB360/540 airbox kit is only available for the vertical intake draft.

I have converted my vertical updraft to horizontal on my FM-150 fuel sensor with the 95 degree elbow from Airflow Performance. I also purchased MK1 fuel filter housing from James Aircraft. After reading Battson's experience and his consideration I am concerned this won't work. My goal is to plumb from the lower nose bowl to the MK1. Not sure what to use. Scat tube seems too flimsy and turbulent for clean airflow.
                I used SCEET tube, it is plenty strong and was designed to provide a smooth surface for cleaner airflow.

Comment

Working...
                X