Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bearhawk Clamar Amphibian float Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearhawk Clamar Amphibian float Kits

Hi All,
    Bearhawk Canada is excited to announce that together with Clamar, we are developing a bolt on float and rigging kit for the 4-place bearhawk. We will be installing serial #1 of the new All electric Amphibs on a 4-place this winter and establishing a rigging kit that will have enough adjustment to make up for builder "variances" in float fittings. These floats are expected to be 30 to 35lbs lighter than a hydraulic system. Will keep you all posted on this as well

Great. Will they be the std 2500 or something slightly bigger.
    Any idea on the price range for the complete kit?

Mike.

Comment

I will be interested in a year or two.

Comment

Hi Mike, there a modified version of the new fluted 2500. These floats will be good for up to 2950lb gross.

Comment

Mike,

that is AWESOME!!!!

unfortunately now I will need to get a bigger hangar

are there any specific things we can do during the build to prepare for these?

Such as electrical system design?

nice that we do not have to plumb a separate hydraulic system

count me in for 2022-23
          Dan
          Last edited by ThreeD; 09-17-2019, 08:42 PM.

Comment

The most important things to ensure you add as you build are the float attach fittings and water rudder tabs. It’s a shame to have to cut and weld those in after fabric has been installed. I will get pics posted once we finalize things.

Comment

• svyolo
              svyolo commented
              Editing a comment
              I had float fittings installed on the factory fuselage. What are water rudder tabs? I am covering very soon.

• zkelley2
              zkelley2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Svyolo, what did you use for your rear float fittings?

Very exciting Mike

Comment

Here’s a pic of the Rudder attach pulleys that are placed aft of the rear float attach fitting. These ones are clamped onto the bottom longeron, which is ok but I’m going to weld a tab for these.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• svyolo
                svyolo commented
                Editing a comment
                Could you use the lifting handle on each side to mount the pulley?

Water rudder pulley brackets:

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displa...=259964&row=13

Pics from a friend's Super Cub:

Attached Files
              Last edited by alaskabearhawk; 09-18-2019, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskabearhawk View Post
                Water rudder pulley brackets:

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displa...=259964&row=13

Pics from a friend's Super Cub:
                What a great idea! I'm guessing the ideal fore/aft location of the pulleys on the fuselage is dependant on the floats used? Also there needs to be a provision for dropping/raising the water rudders. I've seen a thin cable used with a ring on the end going to a hook on the instrument panel.

Comment

An idea I have wondered about is using electrically controlled water rudders and retraction. Something like trim servos or flap actuators. Seems like it would eliminate a lot of rigging. Obviously would require waterproofing the actuators but that would seem pretty simple. Could be inside the floats except for external linkage. Removing floats would require unplugging wires rather than dealing with cables, pulleys, etc. Probably some complications I have not considered. I have never heard of anyone trying it.

Comment

I was trying to find some info on where and what to attach to the fuselage for floats. My kit came with the main attach fittings from he factory, but I think I need to be able to mount a pulley on either side of the fuselage for cables to actuate the water rudders. I was thinking somewhere between station F or G, and I would think right at the cluster would be better. I also don't know what type of pulley to mount. A hard mounted pulley, or one on s swivel?

Comment

It really depends on how your floats are configured as to where pulleys go on the fuselage. Mine are located here: http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displa...=259964&row=13

Lower longeron, inboard and flush with the fabric. Located halfway between the aft cargo station (bulkhead) and next station down. Not sure of the stations...don't have my plans handy.

Don't forget to make provisions in the cockpit for the water rudder retract cable.

Comment

• Czimtrek
                        Czimtrek commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Working on finding a location for rudder retract cable. Are you able to post/send me pics of yours?
                    Working...
                    X