Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to get rid of tapatalk, change my mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to get rid of tapatalk, change my mind

Hi everyone, how many of you are still using tapatalk, and would we lose you if we disable it?

For the past few years we have paid $5 per month just for them to disable their very intrusive pop ups and ads. This is not a business model that I appreciate, but we have done it. It's more than their service is worth on our tiny site.

As of now they are doubling the rate, and I'm not really seeing that it is worth it. Please change my mind if you disagree, otherwise it's getting the axe shortly.

Dang, I’m almost exclusively Tapatalk, but I had no idea they had a fee. That’s ridiculous. I can’t convince you otherwise, particularly because I’d be on the same boat. Just maybe make a post a day before you cancel it (my morning routine includes opening up Tapatalk and checking out updates on the forums). Does anyone know alternatives?
    John Wiltberger
    Model B - #1544B
    Maricopa, AZ

Comment

Well, I just use the browser on my iPhone when I'm not at the computer. It's not perfect, but the forums software Jared is running had improved their mobile capabilities a LOT. I would only add that when you're using a mobile browser, the following applies: "if in doubt, scroll down the page". Whatever you're looking for is likely just off the bottom of the screen... LOL

PS - Big tip of the hat to Jared, for fixing a bug that was taking you to the 1st post on every topic you went to, instead of to the first "unread" post.
      Jim Parker
      Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
      RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

I had no idea what "Tapatalk" was, until this discussion. (I Googled it). I personally use Google Chrome to view this forum on my laptop and iPhone.
        Rob Caldwell
        Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
        EAA Chapter 309
        Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
        YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
        1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Jared, I appreciate that you’ve kept it going this long but I’m in full support of you dropping them. I’ve been trying to use the mobile browser lately and it is much improved.

Do the ads/popups interfere with the site itself or just the users using the app? If it is possible to keep tapatalk working without a cost it may be worth it to some users. Some of the forums I frequent have the ads/popups in tapatalk and it is very annoying. I mostly now just use tapatalk for notifications on my substribed posts; I rarely open the app.
          Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I'm another guy that has no idea what tapatalk is. I don't post often. I don't feel the need to look at forums on a cell phone either, just when I'm on my cheap chromebook. Will that change your mind ?

Comment

I don’t know what tap talk is. I open the forum morning and evening on my iPhone. Don’t remember ever opening it on my computer. I have never had an ad pop up on the news group. I appreciate that there are no ads but I guess we could drop the filter and see how bad things get. If need be we can return to a ad filtered group. Appreciate the effort you have invested to make such a good cite.

Comment

Jared,
                I tried Tapatalk for a while and didn't see the benefit. I use firefox for PC and Android with a browser shortcut to show me the latest activity, that seems to be working well. I'm part of several forums and as a user I always prefer the native interface over a one-size-fits-all like taptalk where features like comments get hidden.
                Mark
                Scratch building Patrol #275
                Hood River, OR

Comment

My experience is the same, I did not see the advantage of an aggregator type service, another forum I enjoy had enough problems with the model that they discontinued it after a brief trial some years ago. I typically add tabs to the top toolbar of my browser; news feeds, and half a dozen forums I am involved in. I used to use forum settings to alert me to new posts etc. but have found the additional overburden on my email to be enough distraction that I have disabled those alerts and now just click the tabs when online and all of the forums have a "new posts" or new threads type tab that quickly lets me see new activity.

Comment

Thanks for the input, if anyone else has any, feel free to post or send me a PM. Otherwise I'll wait for a business day to see if the tapatalk folks anything to say.

Comment

Working...
                    X