Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shock strut cutout- splitting the boot cowl section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock strut cutout- splitting the boot cowl section

I made the boot cowl cutouts a couple of weeks ago, and put the gear on (with that part cliché-ed on) to move to another shop. I realized that if I wanted to remove that piece of cowling, I would also need to remove the shock struts. Anybody try making that 1 part into 2 by splitting it transversly through the cutouts to make it easier to remove?

I made slots to the rear of the bottom edge of the boot cowl. I'm going to cover the gap with the fairings made to the correct oval shape.

Comment

I used two cover plates that Bob designed and is in the documented in Bearhawk safety updates. The cover plates remain on the shock struts but slide down so the belly skin can be removed. I got an inner tube from the village bicycle shop to fabricate the cover plate gasket. Its nice and stretchy. I wonder how it will do over time....If I can keep sun from shinning on it and deteriorating it I think I'll be ok. (haha)
      Last edited by Bcone1381; 09-23-2020, 07:12 AM.
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

This post has details including some nice CAD drawings by spinningwrench :

Let me know if you don't have access and I can help get you a pdf.

Comment

You'd want to think carefully about maintenance, and fairings. Removing this piece is a huge job to remove on most aircraft, many designs will cause damage to paint when it comes time to maintain - an annoyance for sure.

I can share what I did, if it's of interest, however my solution is not the best.

The best solution in my view, is to split it into two pieces about the centreline, and have each side slotted at the back with rubber seals.

I should also have mentioned - you need to consider the gear leg fairing when designing the fasteners and overlaps about the gear leg.
          Last edited by Battson; 09-24-2020, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I will look at them.

Comment

Here is what I did.

. C967DFFA-ACE9-4D86-BD23-8111EDBA17DA.jpeg4ED4027C-5B9F-4D0F-AFDF-1FC237F5BC48.jpeg

Comment

SimonNicholson Woah nice ! What are the boots and where’d you get them ? A nice touch. I’ve split mine very similar to yours.
                Nev Bailey
                Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                YouTube - Build and flying channel
                Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

I did similar except I made a cutout in each hole so I could slide it off the thin part of the strut. I have .032 rings that screw onto the outer edge of the holes, with the boots attached. That allows me to remove the whole 1/2 a panel.

Comment

Working...
                  X