Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring labels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring labels

I have read the stuff on wiring labels but most of my wiring behind the instrument panel is very short and each end terminates in a large connector with 10+ other wires. Most of my avionics wires are less than 18", with the majority closer to 12"

How anal are the DAR's about wiring labels for stuff like that? It seems like connector pinouts in the POH, and laminated somewhere close to the connector for easy viewing are actually more appropriate. There is no way to hook up something wrong once it is hooked up correctly.

Longer wires going to external lights, fuel pumps, etc, will have appropriate labeling. I have maybe a dozen total switches that are individually terminated at the switch. Everything else goes into a large connector, including power and grounds.

DAR's don't care about wire labels, mechanics do.

Comment

I don't think the DAR will have any requirements for labeled wires. You will have to label switches and controls. And in the years down the line, unlabeled wires sure will complicate working on things.

Comment

• Bcone1381
        Bcone1381 commented
        Editing a comment
        A label using a very small font, printed on regular paper, cut out with scissors, then placed under clear shrink wrap looks pretty darn good. I feel no for a special shrink wrap label printer.

Thanks. I will label what I need to troubleshoot as if I didn't do it myself. Mostly pinouts unless the wires are terminated individually.

Comment

Originally posted by svyolo View Post
        Thanks. I will label what I need to troubleshoot as if I didn't do it myself. Mostly pinouts unless the wires are terminated individually.
        Good idea, as eventually either you or your heirs may want to sell the airplane. Having wiring diagrams and well-labelled wires would be a huge value-add in that situation.. (I wish my airplane had such a diagram... Alas, it does not.)
        Jim Parker
        Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
        RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Working...
        X