Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring unofficial west-side get-together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring unofficial west-side get-together?

Any interest in a casual gathering of Bearhawks? We kicked around the idea of a STOL get-together a couple years ago but interest wasn't there. This time I'm thinking about something laid back with basically no planning other than "who's bringing the firewood" and "see ya this weekend." I'm a terrible party planner and an even worse host so the less planning required the more likely we can make something happen.

My idea: Pick a weekend to meet somewhere. Do some flying and share a campfire.

Time: April/May or Sept/Oct are when I'd be most likely to attend.

Location: Somewhere central enough to the western US that people would be willing to attend. I'm thinking Southern Utah. Maybe Huntington, UT?

Thoughts?

Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

I like the idea! I should be flying by then.
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

I'd be interested. I'm in AZ so something in southern UT would be an easy flight.
      Bobby Stokes
      4-Place Kit Builder
      Queen Creek, AZ
      http://azbearhawk.com

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
        Any interest in a casual gathering of Bearhawks? We kicked around the idea of a STOL get-together a couple years ago but interest wasn't there. This time I'm thinking about something laid back with basically no planning other than "who's bringing the firewood" and "see ya this weekend." I'm a terrible party planner and an even worse host so the less planning required the more likely we can make something happen.

My idea: Pick a weekend to meet somewhere. Do some flying and share a campfire.

Time: April/May or Sept/Oct are when I'd be most likely to attend.

Location: Somewhere central enough to the western US that people would be willing to attend. I'm thinking Southern Utah. Maybe Huntington, UT?

Thoughts?
        Jon; If you picked a weekend and a place, whatever happens will be good. Any date is better than no date, no date will work perfectly for everyone and seriously resist changing the date after you set it. Don't let size of the event be the judge of its success, for Big is often a complaint. One or two parties in attendance is ok as small gatherings often turn out to be outstanding events.

If I had my Patrol done, I'd come, and I'd draw a line across the runway with a 5 pound bag of flour and watch where the event goes from there.
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

I will try to attend, unfortunately won't be with a Bearhawk, working diligently but not fast.

Comment

I would do my best to attend. Hunnington is three hour (no wind) flight for me. Give me a shout anytime you want to stir up a gaggle. Would enjoy it.

Thanks too much,
            John Bickham

Los Lunas, NM Mid Valley Airpark E98
            BH Plans #1117
            Avipro wings/Scratch
            http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....er&project=882

Comment

I flew into Huntington (first stop on my flight bringing my Coyote home from Utah), and it's a nice place. Not much "action" when I was there, but it was in May, when Covid-19 was a huge concern in the area.

It's a bit far for me to fly for a weekend (12 hours each way), but I wish I could join you folks up there...
              Jim Parker
              Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
              RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

I won't have a BH with 40 hours on it by then, but I may fly down in my 170.

Comment

Sounds like we have some interest. I’ll do some checking on dates and locations and report back.

Comment

Great idea. I cant attend this time because my plane isn’t nearly done, but thanks for the encouragement to get at it and also for supporting the Bearhawk community. I’m sure it will be great, at any size. I can’t wait to start doing stuff like this again! Also, Utah is a bucket-list airplane camping trip for me, as I’m sure it is for others. It would be fantastic to get advice from the regulars about where the really cool off-strip destinations are to be found.

Comment

I have done some looking and I think Huntington would be a good spot for a spring or fall get-together. They have space for camping, showers, bathrooms, fuel, a covered pavilion, electricity, etc. There is plenty of good day trip flying in the area.

Dates will be the hitch for me. I like May in S. Utah but I have been invited to crew on a sailing passage which will take much of May. Being a land-locked wannabe sailor I can't say no. April might have too unpredictable of weather for those that need to travel but maybe not?

I think what would work best for me is to plan a weekend in early October for an official unofficial gathering. But I still want to get to S.UT this spring so if I can make it happen I'd be happy to post my plans and meet up with folks for a weekend.

Since this is an entirely casual thing, anyone that would like something different should speak up. I think we'd all just like to do some flying and some in-person socializing.

Comment

• John Bickham
                        John Bickham commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Just keep us posted if you head south. I'd like to try and meet up.

May is mud month in Utah, some of the backcountry strips might be a bit muddy then
                      N678C
                      https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
                      Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

I have an Airport Available in NM. It is NM90 6000' N/S Runway and 2300' E/W runway. We hold fly in's there every year for the New Mexico/ RAF before COVID started. If this is of any interest.

Comment

Did this happen? Regardless, it should happen (again)! It is a LOOONG flight for me, but I'd try.

Comment

Originally posted by kestrel View Post
                            Did this happen? Regardless, it should happen (again)! It is a LOOONG flight for me, but I'd try.
                            No.

We really should do something.

Comment

Working...
                            X