Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please don’t make my fabric covering mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more thought - be sure there's a way to access that turnbuckle for regular inspections and adjustments - the cables will stretch (yes, even your pre-stretched cables) and need adjusting.
    You could have a removable headliner, or an inspection panel, or to route your headliner in such a way that the turnbuckle is always exposed (like in some Super Cubs).

Comment

The turnbuckles I used on the plane are not secured with safety wire but instead are the type that are secured with locking clips. Also in my headliner has
      a cabin wide crescent zipper access to allow inspection and work on the turnbuckle. I turned the aileron thru cable to show it was secured, but will have to redo the swages when I remove it all for the repair.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

The zippered access is nice. Why would you need to redo the swages for repairs?

Comment

• Battson
          Battson commented
          Editing a comment
          Answers on the previous page.

• marcusofcotton
          marcusofcotton commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah, I see, thanks.

Sorry to read about what happened Tim. But you kept your cool and landed your plane. That is what is most important. We do recommend to rib stitch the fabric to the stringers and ceiling back to the rear spar. This was recommended after someone flying above my plane noticed the fabric billowing up in that area. Low pressure is created and the fabric blows upwards. Bob's 4 place prototype did not do this. But mine did.

I have been without internet for 3 days with our current winter storm here in Texas. So didn't see this until just now. Mark

Comment

• JimParker256
          JimParker256 commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with Mark. Tim did a great job of keeping his cool and salvaging the situation.

Mark, did you also rib stitch that area (and/or the upper wing surfaces) when you used the Oratex system? I've always wondered about that, and kept forgetting to ask...

I'm "enjoying" the same "Texas weather" you're having... (Minnesota, I think your weather got out of the pasture, and is now running around down here. Please come retrieve it!) Today we are supposed to get above freezing for the first time in over a week. We've seen a couple of nights in the near-zero (Farenheit) range – not counting wind chill with the 30-40 mph winds that were blowing. At least we've got power (and a backup generator if that goes out). And since I'm on a well, I've got water as long as the power holds out (and nothing freezes). That makes me a lot bettter off than many folks here in Texas... And, I seem to have managed to avoid any freeze damage so far, so I'm feeling pretty lucky! And the forecast for Sunday is 68ºF for the high... Weird.

And like Mark, I've been without internet access since the bad weather got here... After several rounds of promises that they would have it fixed "in a couple of days", AT&T just informed me that they are "hoping" to have my Internet connection back up by Sunday, Feb 28th. I've been using the hot spot on my cell phone for access, but way out here in the boonies (Bearhawk country!) I've only got 1 bar of signal strength. Thus my "hot spot" is more of a "cool spot" with performance that is like the old "dial-up" days... Forget about watching videos, and even pictures are very slow to load... Reminds me of the early 80's.
      Working...
      X