Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riveting wing skins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riveting wing skins

Hi to all, To those who have completed their wings, what is the best route to follow, is it best to rivet the top skins first, then finish the control cables and wiring inside the wing, or rivet the nose ribs both sides and then the bottom skins?
    Attached Files

Complete top skins back to rear spar. Actual cables and wiring can be completed later if u have a conduit or chase roughed in for wiring. Wont hurt to rough in the wiring if u decide that route of course. Then bottom skins...good luck!!!

Comment

Thank you Gary. Much appreciated.enjoy!

Comment

I would say get all the wiring and cables in first and then rivet the bottom skin. It's a real PITA trying to work through inspection and lightening holes. On the QB Bravo, the bottom skin is riveted to the front spar which also makes things difficult as you have to roll it back and support it. I would match drill everything and then just leave the leading edge clecoed to the front spar until you are ready to finish the bottom skin.

Comment

• Gerhard Rieger
          Gerhard Rieger commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, makes sense to do it that way.

One trick that someone probably mentioned before: Run at least one piece of string through the path your wiring will take, and tape it off with painter's tape at both ends so it doesn't move. That way, if (or should I say "when") you need to run another length of wire, you can tie it to the string and pull it through easily. Just be sure an pull a new piece of string along with the new wire, for the "next" time...
        Jim Parker
        Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
        RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

• Gerhard Rieger
          Gerhard Rieger commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Jim, I will keep that in mind

• BravoGolf
          BravoGolf commented
          Editing a comment
          If you take some fishing line and wrap it around a few cotton balls, you can blow it through the conduit from one end with air from your compressor. The fishing line is strong and won‘t break. Easy way to add another line through the conduit, even if there is already wire in it.

I am finishing up the wings (fabric on ailerons and flaps). I ended up riveting the wings by myself, despite have a friend lined up to help. I didn't like the process. I am average height, so Rob's method didn't work for me, my arms are not long enough. But I looked at the skins, and the 13 inch box that some .032 and .025 AL I got from ACS, and decided to try to bend the bottom skin to a 13 inch diameter without damage.

I ended up match drilling, and cleco-ing (AL pop rivets would also work) 2x2x.1/16 AL angle to the trailing edge of the bottom skin to stabilize the trailing edge. Then using Gorilla tape, 3 pieces going forward, and 2 going aft, I was able to bend the proper radius to the bottom wing skin and fairly easily rivet the first row of rivets fairly easily. I could easily, and controllably, slowing unroll the skin. It worked very well, no stress, and I think better "feel" for the first 6-10 rows of rivets.

I have a new Mac laptop and finally figured out how to transfer pics from my Android phone. I will try to post pics the next day or two.

Comment

svyolo
          I would be interested in seeing pictures of this if you have them available. Thanks!
          Mark
          Scratch building Patrol #275
          Hood River, OR

Comment

• svyolo
            svyolo commented
            Editing a comment
            I will get pics a bit later. I forgot to post them after I did the previous post. It worked pretty good. I am 5'11 and normal length arms. I probably could have still done it if I was a couple of inches shorter, but not much more than that.

I just finished riveting RH&LH main wings. I did rough in everything into the wings. Removed everything for riveting. Celecoed all upper skins on. Started riveting on the bottom of the nose ribs lifting one skin at a time for easy access finished all the bottom flanges of the nose ribs. Then Celecoed everything back up. Riveting topif the nose ribs. Referred to this as the D section. Because it forms the letter D. I biult custom bucking bars for getting around lighting hole flanging. Tricky section to rivet prefactly. Then finished off the main section. I left off the bottom skins. I will rivet those on when I set the wings up for the close out inspection.
          Hope this helps. Riveting is easy. The first wing took nearly twice as long as the second wing. Have a good selection of rivets in half lengths. Get a pair of rivet cutters and some really long rivets to trim up to custom lengths.
          Cheerios Bearhawk Bro's

Comment

Here are a few pics. I wouldn't try it without stabilizing the trailing edge with something, I used AL angle. I used Gorilla tape and I would say I would use regular duct tape. Actually if I did it again I would use ratchet straps. I pulled the trailing edge forward with 3 strips, and pulled it backwards with two. I could accurately position the trailing edge exactly where I wanted it. The pipe insulation was to keep from injuring my self.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Working...
            X