Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint Quantity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Quantity

Hi all been away from building for the past couple months but hoping to pick up the pace a little this spring. One of the next tasks for me is priming wing ribs and stiffeners. Right now i'm planning to use Prekote and EkoPoxy or EkoPrime. Question I have is how much paint? How far will a quart go?

Thanks!
    Joe
    Gaithersburg, MD
    EAA Chapter 524
    Cherokee Driver
    Bearhawk 4-Place Builder #1582

Originally posted by jsuhre View Post
    Hi all been away from building for the past couple months but hoping to pick up the pace a little this spring. One of the next tasks for me is priming wing ribs and stiffeners. Right now i'm planning to use Prekote and EkoPoxy or EkoPrime. Question I have is how much paint? How far will a quart go?

Thanks!
    I believe Andy at Stewarts told me 80 square feet/quart but we were talking about top coat, not primer. Give him a call.

Comment

• AKKen07
      AKKen07 commented
      Editing a comment
      I was told a quart of primer and top is 75’. A gallon of each is good for 300’

Thanks for the pointer, swapped a couple emails with Andy and have some EkoClean, EkoEtch, and a gallon of EkoPrime on the way!
    Joe
    Gaithersburg, MD
    EAA Chapter 524
    Cherokee Driver

Comment

Originally posted by jsuhre View Post
      Thanks for the pointer, swapped a couple emails with Andy and have some EkoClean, EkoEtch, and a gallon of EkoPrime on the way!
      I really like the ekoprime, very easy to use and sprays nicely. I'm using ekoprime on all aluminum parts and ekopoxy on the steel parts under the top coat.

Comment

Originally posted by rodsmith View Post

I really like the ekoprime, very easy to use and sprays nicely. I'm using ekoprime on all aluminum parts and ekopoxy on the steel parts under the top coat.
        Happy to hear it! I was on the fence between EkoPrime and EkoPoxy for the aluminum wing parts. My primary concern with EkoPrime being the possibility for contact with fuel in the tank bay. Andy confirmed that EkoPrime holds up reasonably well vs AvGas but less so with auto gas. So between having good access to the bay and the ease of handling for the EkoPrime I figured that will be the way to go.

I'll likely use EkoPoxy on steel parts when the time comes.
        Joe
        Gaithersburg, MD
        EAA Chapter 524
        Cherokee Driver

Comment

Don't forget to use EkoEtch on bare AL before priming. I forgot to etch on some smaller AL parts and the paint is not adhering as well.
          Rob Caldwell
          Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
          EAA Chapter 309
          Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
          YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
          1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by robcaldwell View Post
            Don't forget to use EkoEtch on bare AL before priming. I forgot to etch on some smaller AL parts and the paint is not adhering as well.
            Thanks for the warning Rob, all AL will be cleaned and etched per Stewarts recommendations with appropriate Stewarts products. Ordered a DeVilbiss Finishline 4 yesterday. Planning to follow Stewarts instructions to a tee. From my research those who have followed the instructions have gotten good results.
            Joe
            Gaithersburg, MD
            EAA Chapter 524
            Cherokee Driver

Comment

• robcaldwell
              robcaldwell commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I cannot speak more highly of Stewarts and the equipment recommendations they suggest.

• JimParker256
              JimParker256 commented
              Editing a comment
              "...those who have followed the instructions have gotten good results..."
              So true about so many things in life, yet we still don't like to read those directions! LOL
          Working...
          X