Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Brake Bleeding Education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread did make me move my parking brake to the floor. I originally had it on the firewall, but when I decided to use the caliper mounted brake reservous that probably wasn't going to work.
    Zkelley2 has me wondering why I need one, probably just convenience.

On big airplanes, the plane is not parked until the chocks are in place. The parking brake is for pilot convenience.

Comment

• zkelley2
      zkelley2 commented
      Editing a comment
      It's the same with little airplanes, only tied down instead of chocks if it's outside.

Obviously whatever choice a person makes is the correct one since it's their airplane. I'm just scratching my head on how people need them to keep the plane from rolling while they get out. Ramps are almost always quite level and off airport is even less an issue due to the divots and such unless you're on a crazy hill.
      Last edited by zkelley2; 05-21-2021, 02:23 PM.

Hmm. I find that where I often fly, ramps are seldom level. Winds are very strong from the wrong direction. There’s another plane nearby. My RV9 (without park brake) was always rolling away on me. I’ll never voluntarily do without a park brake again. I’ll still have to exercise good airmanship and not depend too much on it though. Also, I’ll release the park brake after chocks-in. It’s not a substitute for tie downs and chocks; it’s safety on top. Granted, a high-wing strut braced bush plane is much easier to jump out of and chock than my tiny low-wing cantilever job. I think it’s worth it in terms of cost and effort.

Comment

• JimParker256
      JimParker256 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point on releasing the parking brakes after chocks are in place or the airplane is tied down. That's my practice as well, since increasing temps can cause the fluid to expand, making it harder to unlock the brakes later.

I wonder if you could design a chock placement device that could be portable, extendable and would allow you to place and retrieve a aluminum angle chock from the cockpit. In a Patrol your sitting pretty close to the main gear. Seems doable. Sort of like the pistol grip can grabber devices Harbor Freight sells. Cracks me up just to think about it, but it needs a name, "Plop a Chock", "Stop and Chock" etc. Somewhere a farmer with a J-3 has figured this out.
    Gerry
    Patrol #30

Comment

Originally posted by geraldmorrissey View Post
      Somewhere a farmer with a J-3 has figured this out.
      Gerry
      Patrol #30
      Absolutely. My wife asked me what I was laughing about.
      Scott Ahrens
      Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

Originally posted by geraldmorrissey View Post
        ......but it needs a name, "Plop a Chock", "Stop and Chock" etc. Somewhere a farmer with a J-3 has figured this out.
        Too funny! How about: “Park n Brake”
        Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
        YouTube - Build and flying channel
        Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

I have just about talked myself out of a parking brake. In addition to not adding weight or failing, without it there, I can't screw it up.

Comment

Working...
          X