Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aileron and Flap Covering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aileron and Flap Covering

I've seen some who appear to have covered the ailerons and flaps before fitting to the wings and some apparently do them at the very end of the wing build sequence. I started to begin mounting the hinge brackets to the ailerons per the plans with the intention of covering them and then stopped when I realized that this might not be appropriate until the end of the wing build. Can it be done correctly before the wing build or should I wait?

You can adjust the trailing edge of the control surfaces to optically match other parts of the wing/other surfaces before they are covered.

Comment

If you cover the control surfaces first, you cannot access the back side of the surface spars to fit/mount the nutplates after drilling the hinge plates. I suppose you could make access panels to have permanent access, but I don't think that is how most builders do it.

Comment

Thanks all...I'll wait and do it with the wings.

Comment

Flaps and ailerons were the last two pieces that I covered.
          Rob Caldwell
          Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
          EAA Chapter 309
          Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
          YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
          1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

• Mark Dickens
            Mark Dickens commented
            Editing a comment
            That's my plan now.

As a rule of thumb I have found it is always best to fit things together that need to go together in assembly for the best results. That usually take longer to get things together but it usually makes for a better fitting assembly. And anything you do that prevents this just prolongs the process.

Comment

Working...
          X