Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air Supply to Cabin Heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Supply to Cabin Heat

I have a Vetterman exhaust with heat muffs on both mufflers plumbed to a cabin heat box on each side of the firewall. I hate to rob cooling air to feed these. They need air flow all the time, not just when using cabin heat. I'm considering feeding them from NACA ducts on the side of the lower cowl. Just wondered if anyone has done this or if it sounds like a good idea.

NACA ducts sounds like a good idea.

Incidentally, I have 2 muff's as well. So far, when ambient is -2 to 10°c, I alternate between having one vent cracked slightly open, then closing it. Leaving it on gets too hot. I haven't used both of them for any length of time yet. The vents are between the rudder pedals. It pumps out so much hot air that my right foot and the front seat pax's left foot get quite hot. If there was a way to vent one to the rear cabin it'd be good, and I'd mount the other one slightly higher if I was doing it again.
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

I put a naca vent in each side of the lower engine cowl and it works fine.
      Rollie VanDorn
      Findlay, OH
      Patrol Quick Build

Comment

I mounted the heater boxes low enough in the corners, that they feed 2" scat tube under the flooring one terminating centrally in the front floor and one in the rear.

Comment

I put a NACA duct on the underside of the cowl just forward of the cowl flaps. It’s routed through a single exhaust muff to the center of the firewall at about the same level as the pedals. Works great. Even in below freezing temps it only needs to opened a little bit. Lots of heat with a huge volume of air.
          4-Place QB kit #111. First flight May 2022.
          IO-470 - 260hp

Comment

I have no practical knowledge on the subject. I was, for future reference, researching naca submerged ducts and their effectiveness. I have considered oil cooler heated-air for cabin heat using a naca duct inlet.

A rather technical discussion of naca ducts: http://cozyserenity.weebly.com/uploa...uct_design.pdf

Somewhere (?) I recall naca ducts being ineffective in some installations because of placement and/or lacking in ram air pressure at the outlet.

Sounds like the respondents here are doing well with them on the forward sidewall.

Comment

• Bcone1381
              Bcone1381 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for that study!

I went old school and used external scoops mounted on the cowling. Plenty of airflow to get enough cabin heat.
            Have flown comfortably in -20c temps.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Working...
            X