Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taxi Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxi Camera

I thought I'd mention something that I installed just for the fun of it, that I now consider almost essential equipment. I've got a Dynon Skyview system. One of the options was a video input adapter for $175. That, paired with a $60 backup camera from Amazon installed in the nosebowl, and I can actually see where I'm going.

It's awesome. I've got a tricky taxi between hangars with zero room to weave back and forth. Even with my head out the window there would always be a blind spot without the camera.

I haven't been off airport yet but it'll be super useful on gravel bars and backcountry strips where there's obstacles.

I've you're installing an EFIS system that can take a camera input I would highly recommend it.
    IMG_6148.jpg
    Attached Files
    4-Place QB kit #111. First flight May 2022.
    IO-470 - 260hp

Brilliant Tim. Can the video input adapter be retrofitted ?

Also interested what you did for a power supply for the camera?
    Last edited by Nev; 07-03-2022, 12:14 AM.
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• TimTall
      TimTall commented
      Editing a comment
      If you're running a Skyview system it's super easy. It just plugs into one of the USB ports. The adapter is set up to take two different types of video input so it'll work with most aftermarket backup cameras. The skyview system can flip the image if the camera only displays a mirror image as some backup cams do. Some cameras have a way to switch the output.

For wiring I just ran a 12v source from my fuse panel. The camera has to be powered up when skyview boots up so its easiest to give it constant power when the battery switch is on. I guess you could just add it to the Skyview circuit with the same effect though. Unfortunately I forgot to wire an independent ground to my FWF ground block though. It shares a ground with my landing/wigwag lights that are on either side of the camera in the nose bowl. I get a very slight click in the headset when the wigwags flash and I suspect it could be the common ground. Easy enough to add another ground next time i have the cowl off.

Very cool. I bought the video adapter with the Skyview HDX, but haven't hooked up a camera yet. Which camera did you go with and where did you mount yours? The picture out in front looks nice.

Comment

• robcaldwell
      robcaldwell commented
      Editing a comment
      I am also interested to know which camera you sourced. I have been considering adding a forward facing camera too. I also have the Dynon HDX with video in option.

I am wanting a taxi-cam, but talking to Dynon (they are building my panel) the currently HDX is not compatible with cameras. They used to be, and likely will be going forward, but not currently. Long story, but software changes and supply chain issues. I am thinking I will install the camera, do the wiring and wait for the compatibility.
    N678C
    https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
    Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

The camera is a cheap one from Amazon...

Video quality is good enough. I'm not sure how much better a more expensive camera would be anyway. The resolution of the display might be the limit.

It's mounted in the lower nose bowl below the spinner and between the landing lights. It's just a little black dot. Most people don't even notice it.
      Camera Location.jpg
      Attached Files
      IO-470 - 260hp

Comment

• Battson
        Battson commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a good looking cowling right there. Love the aesthetic of those cowl flaps

• TimTall
        TimTall commented
        Editing a comment
        I might have taken a little inspiration from you here! Thanks for that. I'm righting a post right now about the baffles, cowl flaps, and cooling. You'll recognize a few details for sure.

• robcaldwell
        robcaldwell commented
        Editing a comment
        I noticed that your Amazon link was Canadian. Not that there is anything wrong with that! It took me a minute to catch the difference.

Canadian pricing indicated $50, and U.S. = $15.

U.S. Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/Chuanganzhuo-...ps%2C64&sr=8-3

Very neat idea. I’m definitely going to file this away until I get to that point in my build. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Great thread! Thanks for sharing…I’m pondering the same with the G3X video input feature (Model 5 kit builder).

Comment

I've wondered about the utility of adding a night vision camera like the Sionyx - my only concern is if there is any lag in the camera (I don't own one, so can't validate it). It seems like it would be a great addition for night taxiing. Below is a photo from their website showing the difference between normal cameras and their night vision camera. Pretty cool videos available as well.
          Experience the world's most advanced digital night vision. The SIONYX Aurora is an ultra low-light digital camera systems that literally turn night into day with full color night vision capabilities. The Digital Future is now. See in the dark with full color digital night vision.

image.png

Comment

How is the effects of vibration on the camera? I've had a lot of trouble with jello video from vibration on a number of camera mounts. ...maybe I'm just using the wrong camera (my phone).

Comment

Vibration isn’t much of an issue for what it’s used for. You definitely wouldn’t want to try to record video for playback with it though.

the prop usually isn’t perfectly in sync with the frame rate of the camera so it just slowly rotates through the image. Sometime it will sync up and stop right in front of the lens but all I need to do is change the RPM by a few revs and it moves away again. It would be annoying for playback purposes but for what it’s intended for its not an issue.
              IO-470 - 260hp

Comment

I recently reinstalled my cowling sat in the plane and fully realized how blind it is directly ahead even on 8.50x6 tires. I have a 3" prop extension which doesn't help. I intend to install a camera like you did. I think it is crazy not to fully utilize today's available technology to enhance safety when possible. Most builders that will have a glass panel should be able to do this. I'm aware of several badly damaged planes resulting from the limited visibility of some tailwheel planes while taxiing.

Comment

I've had a few cases of getting out and then finding the thing in the grass that almost took out my prop. A taxi camera is an idea that I've long been a fan of.

Comment

Working...
                  X