Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Machinery Tweaking - Please Report Any Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Machinery Tweaking - Please Report Any Problems

Spam robots are a constant problem, though they have been largely mitigated by our requirement that new registrations verify their email address. This catches nearly all of the attempted spam registrations.

However, we did find a potential problem in the recent past where a spam member joined, verified the email (perhaps manually, or perhaps with a better robot), and then started sending PMs to users. I get an email notification for every post on the forum, so if a spammer tries to make a public post, as soon as I'm awake and checking email I'm able to remove the post and ban the offender. (Incidentally, if a real user replies to the spammer, it makes it slightly precarious to not ban them as well, so the best action is to report a spam post rather than replying to it). But in the case where the spammer was sending PMs, there was no way for me to know that it was happening.

Thankfully, most of these folks are pretty easy to spot. They usually target For Sale or Wanted ads, and the messages don't seem quite right. But we didn't want to take any chances on letting them get better at what they do.

So as of today, any member must have at least 5 public posts before they are able to send PMs. This took a little doing on the back end, and hopefully I did it right. If you have more than 5 posts, you are now in an elevated user group, and if all went well, that elevated group didn't lose any privileges vs the default "beginner" group that everyone used to be in. If I did it wrong, you'll know before I will, so please let me know so that I can fix it.

If you are a user with less than 5 posts, you will be automatically upgraded once you have made 5 posts. If this bothers you and you are a real Bearhawk person, let me know and I'll move you manually. The intent is not to reduce the privileges of real people, but rather to try and add a layer to the spam trap.

Also, we have expanded the moderator staff by a few more folks.

Thanks for all your work on this Jared, the forum is such an important resource - your work to keep it running is really valuable.

Comment

Thank you for doing this, Jared.

Comment

Dittos...thanks Jared!

Comment

Thanks Jared.

Comment

Agreed -- thanks Jared!

Comment

I like it. Thanks Jared!
              Patrol QB #312
              Buchanan Airfield
              Concord, CA

Comment

Aha! That explains why I was not able to reply to a PM until I signed out and back in again!! Everything worked fine afterwards, it just had me scratching my head for a while.

Thank you for all the work to keep the forum running!
                Bill Duncan
                Troy, Idaho
                Bearhawk Five Scratchbuild - Plans #5053
                N53BD - reserved
                Builders-Log

Comment

Thanks Jared for all your work!

Comment

I'm a real Bearhawk person, please move me manually. Thanks.

Comment

• jaredyates
                      jaredyates commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Done, thanks!

Thank you, Jared, for the effort and time you devote to making this forum a great success.

Comment

Jared. I'm a new member but the policy has cut me off from contact with another builder. Are you able to add my name to the whitelist? Thanks Bill

Comment

• jaredyates
                        jaredyates commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Done, thanks!

you get an email of every post...wow...thats commitment..

appreciate the good work you do

Comment

Jared thanks for all you do and keep this forum among REAL bearhawk builders.

Comment

What they said.

Comment

Working...
                          X