Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeling the need for speed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 4 place was also equipped with 6.00's and wheel pants. I replaced those with 31's.

Comment

• Battson
      Battson commented
      Editing a comment
      I would love to know how much speed you lost

• kestrel
      kestrel commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't really know and don't want to. The original static system wasn't accurate, so I never really knew my speeds and the wheel pants haven't been on since about 6 months after I bought it. Then I went to 8.50's and then to 31's. Now it goes between wheel skis in the winter (with the 6.00's) and 31's in the summer. My guess is about 8-10 kts.

• Pbruce
      Pbruce commented
      Editing a comment
      “My 4 place was also equipped with 6.00's and wheel pants. I replaced those with 31's.”

And went on to take the coolest BH photo EVER!
      Last edited by Pbruce; 10-06-2022, 07:51 PM.

Also Jon - I wonder if the smaller prop will be faster or slower?
    I understand you are running variable pitch so I can't imagine less thrust being a good thing... That said, 88" is a huge prop.
    I just think 82" is right at the lower limit for the Bearhawk.

Comment

• whee
      whee commented
      Editing a comment
      The 88" prop is costing me 9 mph when compared to the 82" version. We tested this by borrowing a prop from a local guy. He said he lost 10mph on his C180 when he removed the 82" and installed the 88" so we expected something similar.

Don't forget the cool factor added by those tips ... reduces climb EGT's by at least 10 deg F.

Comment

Initial flight with the 8.50x10 tires show an increase of 7-8mph over the 31s. That’s back up to or 1mph below the speed we saw on 850x6 tires.

First speed mod successful.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• Battson
        Battson commented
        Editing a comment
        I really thought it would be more than that. Maybe go for 600x6

Airspeed is really a hobby, it’s ground speed that saves you time and $$ while getting you somewhere.

Kevin D
      KCHD

Comment

• whee
        whee commented
        Editing a comment
        My luck is such that I have a 20kt headwind everywhere I go. More airspeed is the only thing that helps when bucking constant headwinds.

Originally posted by 500AGL View Post
      Whee, go big or go home.
      HAHA! Spats could be cool!

Bush wheels really were a waste for me. In the year I had them on I never landed anywhere they were needed. They did eliminate prop damage which was my main goal but I think these new tires will accomplish that and be a much better fit for my flying.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• svyolo
        svyolo commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe the smaller wheels helped, but the 88" prop held you back. I think props have a minimum diameter a few inches shorter, I don't know the limit for yours. Can you cut 2-4 inches off your prop?

• whee
        whee commented
        Editing a comment
        The prop can be trimmed quite a bit, at least 8”. However, takeoff and climb thrust drops significantly. When testing the 82” version of this prop I liked the extra speed but the decrease in takeoff and climb performance was intolerable. I think cutting 4” off might be the sweet spot.

Originally posted by Chris In Milwaukee View Post

I'd pondered that in the past, but after looking at both systems including the one on my Maule, the Bearhawk flaps aren't closed loop. They use cables to pull the flaps down and springs to pull them back up. If you adjusted the "up" position of the Bearhawk flap to roughly the reflexed position of the Maule, wind speed forces would push the flap down out of that position. Maule flaps are literally pulled up and down allowing the torque tube to be turned upward. I'll need to see if I can find a mechanical diagram so we can see how it works. It's been a while since I've seen it so my memory is a little fuzzy.
      I should think that a relative high pressure would persist even under a moderately reflexed flap. If a reflexed flap ‘cures’ excess lift through reduced camber, then that excess may only occur in a lightly loaded airframe. It’s hard for me to let go the idea of free speed with zero added weight at little cost.

Comment

Originally posted by AZBearhawk272 View Post
        Airspeed is really a hobby, it’s ground speed that saves you time and $$ while getting you somewhere.

Kevin D
        KCHD
        I agree, yet I invest a lot in my hobbies. I use the same line of thought regarding fuel capacity and range for best possible average (ground) speed.

Comment

• Bcone1381
          Bcone1381 commented
          Editing a comment
          The Airspeed game has a huge amount of The Efficiency Game involved. That game gives host benefits worth pursuing and opens up new possibilities and destinations.

Flap Relax.....

I'm well aware of (but no experience with) flap reflex that Maule aircraft has in its desig, so I desired to incorporate this when I was installing my flaps on the Patrol. But it was not possible without flap modification. The flat leading edge of the flap is located about 1/8" aft of the rear spar on my installation.

Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 12.46.14 PM.png
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

go to Cessna 180 gear

Comment

Working...
          X