Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

540 Dynafocal Type I or Type II?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 540 Dynafocal Type I or Type II?

I hear that the Type II is "better", but maybe not enough to notice? Type I seems to be the path of least resistance. Anyone have advice on choosing one over the other?

Type 1 dynafocal are 30 deg mounts and type 2 are 18 deg mounts. My understanding is type 2 is for use with engines with long prop hubs/extensions. Obviously your engine mount needs to match the type mounts on the engine. They are bolted to the engine so could be changed out. I believe all of the kit mounts are type 1.

Comment

• Sir Newton
      Sir Newton commented
      Editing a comment
      100% All single engine Lycoming blocks were cut for 30 deg mounts.
      Very few type 2 engine blocks around. However the original builder happened to install a type 2 on my Mustang 2.

Originally posted by rodsmith View Post
    Type 1 dynafocal are 30 deg mounts and type 2 are 18 deg mounts. My understanding is type 2 is for use with engines with long prop hubs/extensions. Obviously your engine mount needs to match the type mounts on the engine. They are bolted to the engine so could be changed out. I believe all of the kit mounts are type 1.
    Yeah... at this point choices are open, so I'm trying to figure out what is the best choice. Since prop extensions seem to be correlated with better cooling and lower drag, an extension is a consideration.

Originally posted by sir-newton
    100% All single engine Lycoming blocks were cut for 30 deg mounts.
    Very few type 2 engine blocks around.​
    540's aren't cut. They have "ears" that are bolted on. A case can have either type bolted to it.

Comment

I have always thought the Type 1 were probably an earlier design and thus the Type 2 must be an improvement... maybe?

I have found Type 2 mounts easy to work with, in terms of access and installation / removal of the engine. However, that is an uncommon task... so probably not a serious consideration.

Comment

Theoretically Type II has less vibration. But I have flown in both and can not feel any difference. I believe that if there is a difference - it would take some electronic device to detect it. Not a difference that a human could detect. Mark

Comment

Working...
        X