Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel Line Routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Line Routing

I am trying to bring the fuel line through the former on the passenger side to the front Tee. It seems the predrilled hole in the former was too close to the fuselage tubing. What would be the best way to get room for the fuel line? My opinion is either A. Elongate the current whole towards the outside. B. Remove the Tab above the hole and drill a new hole.
    Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by FFTravism; 02-27-2023, 09:30 PM.
    Travis M
    Kentucky
    Bearhawk 5 Quickbuilt Kit Plane #5041
    Received December 2022

No harm in doing either of your solutions Travis. You want the fuel line as high in the back as possible and as low in the front of this area. That keeps the system from having a low spot. Mark

Comment

I had a similar issue, I ended up drilling a new hole and using a bulkhead fitting to protect the fuel line from moving around and chaffing against the metal. I also used a bulkhead elbow on the aft door post bulkhead - not sure if that bulkhead's still in the current design.

20120902_122244.jpg

I see the risk of chaffing as a much higher risk than a low point, and when I say low point I am thinking of a U-bend or "sump" in the line where heavier particles or water could sit. My system has several low points and it's never been an issue. Once you fit bushwheels the angles change, the run under the doorpost is always going to cause subtle low points. But it doesn't need to cause great concern.

Some people get very hung-up on the low-point thing, and it leads to some catch-22 situations. Trying to avoid that can become a pursuit of perfection, which leads to a very complex fuel system, which is itself dangerous. Simplicity is worth it's weight in gold in a fuel system.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I think I am going to drill a new hole.
        Travis M
        Kentucky
        Bearhawk 5 Quickbuilt Kit Plane #5041
        Received December 2022

Comment

• AKKen07
          AKKen07 commented
          Editing a comment
          None of the predrilled holes worked for me. Drilled my own everywhere. No harm done that I can tell.
      Working...
      X