Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much 3/8" tubing for fuel lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much 3/8" tubing for fuel lines

The newest kits include new items that had previously not been included with the kits. We call these kits (4 place & Model 5) the Advanced QB kits. One of these items is the 3/8" tubing for the fuel lines & 1/4" tube for brakes.

Since I do not have a plane here to take measurements - I request some advice as to how much 3/8" tube for the fuel lines is needed. And how much 1/4" for the brake lines. The tubes come in 12 ft lengths. My guess is two tubes (24 ft) is adequate for the fuel lines. Maybe that is not enough for aux tanks.

I would appreciate some advise/help from you guys who are building. Thanks. Mark

I ordered 8x 6ft sections (48ft) and made it from wing roots to the fuel selector. Now there is a learning curve and I am used to working with conduit. My calculations that should have done aux tanks then to the fuel selector with 2 extra sections for learning

Have not done the brakes yet but I purchased 3x 6ft (18ft) for brakes. Plan was 1 section extra for learning.

Just my 2 cents.
    Travis M
    Kentucky
    Bearhawk 5 Quickbuilt Kit Plane #5041
    Received December 2022

Comment

The tube isn't super expensive, and a new builder will usually make a lot of mistakes. I would suggest having a generous margin over the bare minimum would be worthwhile

Comment

• gregc
        gregc commented
        Editing a comment
        Or you can do what I did and buy what you "think' you need three times!

Here are the measurements I documented when running fuel/brake lines. I do not have aux tanks. I ordered 4 12’ sections of the 5052 hoping I would have enough after the imminent screw ups. First time builder, first time pipe bender, I knew there would be a learning curve.
      • Fore fuel line = 60” (leaves 12” minimum for wing root connection)
      • Aft fuel line = 90” (leaves 12” minimum for wing root connection)
      • Tee - Fuel selector = 24”
      Double all the above dimensions and you get a total of 29 feet and I still have about a 6 foot piece left that I plan to use for the tank to wing root connection. I had a little more than an entire stick of screw ups which sucks and is expensive but I didn’t think that was all that bad for my first time messing with the stuff.

I ran all Aeroquip hose for the brakes but would think the measurements should be pretty close. I’ll spare the details on the dimension of each segment and just say that I have about 14 feet of brake line total.

Comment

Working...
      X