Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake fluid leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bcone1381 View Post
    Nev; You've indicated that you'll service the brake pad linings at 800 landings. Have you considered fabricating a small lightweight tool to measure brake pad thickness to determine their service limits?
    Making a tool is a very good idea. Just to clarify though, I'm expecting to have to replace the brake pads at about 800 landings, but I'll be checking them regularly before that.

Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

So I had previously bled my brake systems on the amphibs and confirmed there weren’t any leaks. Taxied around a bit. Parked the plane in the hangar and checked for leaks the following two week. I then went to work for three weeks and came back a few days ago for my time off. Went up today to ready the plane for the upcoming Transport Canada inspection. Both lines were completely drained out on the ground under the main wheels.
      I had cleaned the callipers and replaced the puck O rings with new when I assembled the gear earlier this year. I did use transmission fluid which I have utilized for every aircraft I have owned and it was an open bottle that has been used in other aircraft but it’s about 10+ years old.
      I’m at a loss as to why the fluid found it’s way out. Either the fluid is old or not compatible with newer O-ring composition. I brought the callipers home, cleaned them and assembled with another set of new O rings. I will use Shel 41 and bleed the system out tomorrow. I didn’t see any sign the O rings were being compromised in any way. No cracking, softening or stiffening.

Comment

Steve, on mine I think the brake pads were worn down enough that the O rings were being pushed right out of the housing, and thereby allowing the fluid an easy path out. Not sure if this helps.
        Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ

Comment

Steve,
          You might confirm that the O-Rings are actually the correct ones, sizes and cross section. Mil Spec vs Parker Industrial vs Metric. There are differences.
          Supply chain is a bit messed up and the word of the day is, close enough....

Kevin D

Comment

Thanks guys.
            New discs and pads and Parker Mil spec O-rings of the correct part number were used. As I said, I’m at a loss other than old transmission fluid. I’m heading back up to the hangar tomorrow and will redo with Shell 41.

Comment

So Kevin, your saying the package could contain the improper size within?
              The rings didn’t leak during two weeks I was keeping an eye on them. Then both developed a serious leak and dumped all the fluid over three weeks I was away. I suspect a reaction of some sort between the tranny fluid and new rings.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Based on the Packaging and identification
                thoes look like pre COVID, MIL Spec parts.
                The real deal.

Comment

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post
                  Did you happen to measure their thickness? I wonder how many pad sets a disk lasts for. I'm thinking about replacing mine due to the way they are wearing.
                  It's about 3 or 4 sets of pads to a disc in my experience, I imagine there is some variability.

The discs don't wear evenly, they wear faster at the rim and slower at the base (more wear at greater diameter where angular velocity is higher), and more slowly where the rivets are (smaller area in contact with the disc) so their profile is rather uneven when worn. Suggest measuring the average thickness throughout the pad area to gauge wear on a fair basis.

My new discs are 6.5mm, the worn discs have a maximum dimension 5.4mm and minimum of 4.6mm at the rim. I had absolutely no issues with these discs and they seem plenty strong, I just changed them to be on the safe side.

Worn disc - you can clearly see the uneven wear if the photo is viewed full size - high areas in the middle where the brake pad rivets sit,.
                  Worn discs.jpg

Calipers after cleaning and refurbishing
                  Calipers.jpg

New discs installed complete
                  New discs.jpg

Last edited by Battson; 06-06-2023, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Good to know - thanks.
                    Nev Bailey
                    Christchurch, NZ

Comment

To add another data point here, I've now been through two sets of brake pads. The first set lasted 800 landings, the second set, 460 landings. The reason for the difference is wear of the disk, and the limiting factor is that the piston O rings are getting pushed out far enough that a small fluid leak appears.

A friend and engineer took a look and mentioned that my brake units would be larger than those on many light twins. He said the disk should have another 1000 landings on it before even contemplating replacement. His suggestion is to install brake pads with more thickness, or alternatively, shims, to match the disk wear, in order to utilise full disk life.

The grove brake pads are 66-106. Does anyone have a part number for a thicker set of these pads ? It would be about.025 - .035 additional pad thickness.
                      Nev Bailey
                      Christchurch, NZ

Comment

Working...
                      X