Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cowling metal pieces.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowling metal pieces.

Can someone verify this is where all the metal cowling pieces go? I hope you can read my chicken scratches.
    travis
    Attached Files
    Travis M
    Kentucky
    Bearhawk 5 Quickbuilt Kit Plane #5041
    Received December 2022

You've got it roughly correct. The top center engine cowl (you've labeled it "bottom" in red) should be .032 from memory. The bottom engine cowl is .025 (perhaps someone will verify this). Some of the kits went out with .032 for the bottom, though it's probably not a biggie.

See it this link works for you.
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

The inventory sheet had what I think is the top labeled as "bootom". What I was thinking was the bottom was a piece that is about 5 feet wide and 3 or 4 feet tall.

I am needing the cowling extension right now so I am guessing I will run out of pieces at some point.
      Thanks
      Travis
      Travis M
      Kentucky
      Received December 2022

Comment

Just make sure you use thicker 0.032 metal for the top cowl, which appears to be labelled "bottom" in your drawing. Otherwise it will drum and flex like crazy, I ran into big problems with this because I ordered a new sheet of 0.025" which it sounds like you're considering doing.

I have had no issue with 0.025 for the rest, apart from a minor cracking around the tunnel around the cowl flaps, in spite of using a doubler around that whole area. Although cowl flaps create a lot of extra vibration and 'flimsiness', so this won't be an issue unless you plan to use cowl flaps. The cracks in question are tiny and stopped growing on their own - I assume they were caused by residual stress from the rivets, or poorly de-burred holes (i.e. they are preventable) in the 0.025.
        Last edited by Battson; 09-13-2023, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the insight. Mark called me after seeing this post to help. It seems the piece labeled "bootom" is the top of the engine cowl area. He stated it should be a rectangular piece and it is more keystone shaped or trapezoid. Not a big deal. But I did learn terminology means a lot. Engine area is "Cowl" and aft of firewall is "Boot Cowl"
          Travis M
          Kentucky
          Received December 2022

Comment

• gregc
            gregc commented
            Editing a comment
            You will want to adjust the width of that top cowl trapezoidal piece based on your engine/oil filler tube location.

The top and bottom and left and right labels on many of my kit parts were reversed. Particularly confusing were the windshield trim pieces until,you figured it out.

Comment

Working...
          X