Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel Vents in Blowing Snow / Freezing Conditions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Vents in Blowing Snow / Freezing Conditions.

Bearhawk Gentlemen, and the fair Lady Oriana from the great north (And any other women builder/owner/pilots in the Bearhawk world),

A situation rose over the weekend that you should be aware of if you happen to fly in the colder climates, or perhaps even super high/cold/wet environments.

I had both of my fuel cap vents freeze up with snow/ice and effectively seal the vent. While the outcome was perfectly fine, the scenario is one that should be avoided.
    So obviously, our aircraft are not FIKI approved, so flight into known icing, freezing weather of any sort is to be avoided. While I was not in any icing conditions, I was in a cold blowing crystalized snow event(s) that could easily be construed as small ice particles. And while they don't stick, they can fill pitot tubes and fuel vents and freeze them up.

So while Mark had thought about this potentially happening, this is the first known case of it actually occurring. And likewise, I have hundreds of hours of flying Bearhawks in all seasons, and this is my only time where it happened.

For anyone that may happen to read, the issue here is that once the vents are fully clogged with no air flowing in, at some point the vaccum created by the fuel flow to the engine will overcome the head pressure of the fuel flow, and the flow will likely stop. Those with engines operating fuel pumps of either mechanical or electric will operate longer, as the suction created by them will likely suck the tanks into a partially collapsed state before the flow stops.

Again, in thousands of hours of flying this is the first known case, and it's purely due to the conditions that I was operating in. In this particular case I noticed that I lost the airspeed, and identified it as a clogged pitot tube. This is a non-event as we can all fly just fine without an airspeed indicator. What I did not consider at the time was that it could have frozen shut the fuel vents, due to the size of vent hole in the caps.

I discovered this when I was back on the ground and the engine died while taxing. Pumping the throttle created no resistance from the accelerator pump, showing a sign of no fuel in the bowl. Both tank sumps and caps gushed air in rather than letting fuel out until the pressure was equalized. Fuel then flowed to the carb and the engine fired right back up.

So just keep this in mind if you are flying in blowing snow conditions (more likely than wet freezing), or similar, to just check your caps to ensure your vents are open and clear.

Here's a photo of the ground conditions that led to this.

Peter
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 500AGL; 01-22-2024, 03:42 PM.

This is a behavior I've considered, but never experienced. ...and I have inadvertently stumbled into some minor icing a couple times before. Enough to show on the leading edges and struts and make use of the windshield for landing impossible. In those cases, I saw no signs of pitot or fuel vent ice.

The vent holes in my caps look to be about 1/8" in diameter. I've seen pictures of other caps that looked like a different size. I don't recall if they looked larger or smaller. I wonder if hole size could have an effect on the likelihood of icing up? Smaller might keep things from getting in? Larger may to more tolerant of things getting in?

I'm rather surprised that I've never found water in the tanks after flying in rain, and I've done plenty of that! I had a terrible time with rain getting in my pitot tube when flying to AK in 2022.

Comment

• Wmilbauer
      Wmilbauer commented
      Editing a comment
      I found the simple solution for a plugged vent on the cap is to install a check valve in the 1/8 fitting on the out board end of the main fuel tank which is already installed. A check valve is available from McMaster Carr part no. 7768k61. I use it on one of my aircraft but I remove it on condition inspection just to make it is still working.

The standard Bearhawk fuel caps have a 1/8" ram air vent hole.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Peter for sharing your experience, and I'm glad it turned out ok in the end.

Perhaps pitot blockage should be linked in our minds to fuel cap vent blockage. I'll certainly keep the two in mind though I suspect our cabin heat and pilot constitution will be the first limiting factors to me facing the threat personally.

After the fact does the EMS data show any anomalous indications such as less fuel flow or pressure?

Ice formation is one of those odd things, like turbulence, where experience can work against us. We get a little trace if rime every so often and think that we know what ice is, then a one in a million SLD encounter comes along and everything we thought we knew is recategorized. Earnest Gann tells an edge of the seat story about what we now know is SLD in his book Fate is the Hunter. The Roselawn ATR crash was a case that didn't end well.

While this wasn't an SLD encounter, I think the same thing applies to the ice crystals and fuel caps. We can fly through ice crystals many times with no problems, but then one day they are just the right size or whatever and the norms are reestablished. With a little luck and skill it turns out ok as it did for you, and because you are open about it, we have all had the opportunity to learn. I hope you'll consider developing this experience into a Beartracks article so that we can reach more folks!

I revere Bob's design work but I also respect his limitations. I don't think he operates in the kind of conditions that you did, and didn't design for them fully. As we proceed beyond the design mission, we also proceed into areas of new threats.

FInally just to give you a hard time, is it ok if we also tell Donna and Robin and any other ladies that may come along?

Comment

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post
        I'll certainly keep the two in mind though I suspect our cabin heat and pilot constitution will be the first limiting factors to me facing the threat personally.
        My OAT sensor was showing -6F to -10F while flying from NH to NY to go play with Peter and friends on Sunday. When I stopped for fuel on the way home in the evening, the bottom sides of my fuel caps were heavily frosted over.

After the fact does the EMS data show any anomalous indications such as less fuel flow or pressure?
        Oooh! Excellent thought!

Comment

I have a long winded story about how we got to this point, but the synopsis is much easier to understand and doesn't need a campfire.
          That said, there were no indications of engine flows or performance change of any kind. (If anything I flew much faster the second day for when unclogging the pitot tube I tightened up the loose connection behind the panel...hehehehe)

I manage my fuel flow throughout any cruise profiles so one of the things that Bob and I spoke of was how it was a constant flow rate throughout the flights, which for me is in the 8-8.5/hr range. Takeoff or full power is in the 10/hr range. No indication of impending starvation.

FInally just to give you a hard time, is it ok if we also tell Donna and Robin and any other ladies that may come along?
          Only if you break it to them gently and apologetically that I didn't remember their names, which is most likely due to my random participation on here.
          pb

Comment

Could you drill a vent hole in the fuel cap in the rear as well? So front and rear vent holes in each cap? I am away from my project and plans. Icing/bugs are usually leading edge only.

Comment

Jared, what is an SLD encounter?

Comment

Originally posted by rodsmith View Post
                Jared, what is an SLD encounter?
                Supercooled Large Droplets

Comment

Originally posted by svyolo View Post
                  Could you drill a vent hole in the fuel cap in the rear as well? So front and rear vent holes in each cap? I am away from my project and plans. Icing/bugs are usually leading edge only.
                  That would reduce the positive pressure in the tank under normal conditions and would produce a low pressure in the tank when the front port was frozen over.

Cessna places their tank vents behind the wing strut. The wing strut acts as an inertial separator while still providing a portion of the positive pitot pressure to the tank vent port. Some sort of a post in front of the Bearhawk fuel cap vent might provide similar benefits.

image.png

Comment

• Battson
                    Battson commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I always thought that was a good design. The simplest solutions are often the best.

I can’t remember where I found these but I feel they are a good addition to the cap vents. I used an andair check valve close to the tank to prevent overflow not sure if that’s necessary but it’s what I did.
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• rodsmith
                    rodsmith commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's what I used with flush non vented caps.

Originally posted by Luke68 View Post
                  I can’t remember where I found these [...]
                  JD Air sells the best aftermarket experimental aircraft parts including rudder pedal extensions, tail wheel steering links and other parts for the Vans RV Aircraft. Click Here To Browse Our Store!

Comment

Working...
                  X