Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boot Cowling Ext Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot Cowling Ext Question

Not sure if this is a bearhawk 5 thing or newer kit thing. What has everyone done with the flaps on the rear of the boot cowl extension? I noticed on older kits the metal at Stn C just went straight without the flap pieces.
    Thanks
    Attached Files
    Travis M
    Kentucky
    Bearhawk 5 Quickbuilt Kit Plane #5041
    Received December 2022

After looking at it for too long, I just decided to cut them. I didn't see anyway to support those longer flaps and figured they'd just vibrate and chew up the fabric (I have no basis for this thought process but it's what I came up with).

Comment

I could be wrong, it has been a while, but I think if you have/use the boot cowl side extension aluminum pieces, then the triangular portion of the bottom extension give you a spot to join the two. Some folks just carry the fabric all the way to the door front and then it becomes superfluous. Here is an old photo from my log.

IMG_1667.jpg

Comment

• Battson
        Battson commented
        Editing a comment
        This is correct

I was thinking about cutting it too. Never seen the side below the door extensions. Interesting idea. Thanks
      Travis M
      Kentucky
      Received December 2022

Comment

The under-door pieces come (used to come?) standard with the kit. I have them installed, and they connect to the triangle pieces.

You could certainly cut them off and have fabric under the door.

Having metal in these areas under the door sill might be desirable if:
        - your passengers are exceptionally clumsy (this hasn't been an issue for me - they hit the sill and the struts with their feet, not the area under the window)
        - you have a lot of wiring / etc behind which you might want to change / maintain in future

Here's a kit manufactured around 14 years ago
        20121208_112726.jpg

Here's an example of the wiring, fuel lines, which I have behind. The other side also has the static line.
        20121223_174048.jpg
        Attached Files

Comment

Where does the fabric glue too with the side pieces still at the front former? I am wondering why you couldn't take the metal all the way to the back former?
          Travis M
          Kentucky
          Received December 2022

Comment

Originally posted by FFTravism View Post
            Where does the fabric glue too with the side pieces still at the front former? I am wondering why you couldn't take the metal all the way to the back former?
            You have to add a little piece of metal which runs from the sill to the longeron.

You can do this by just bolting on a piece of aluminium angle, shaped to fit around the interior fabric. I attached mine with an adle clamp at the bottom end, without rubber, and I used protective tape to protect the fabric, you don't see it under the metal.

A welded piece would be better, but you want to be careful welding to the longerons - it needs to be right.

I asked the same question - why not supply a larger piece and terminate the fabric further back? The answers were:
            1. Lack of necessity - a larger piece would probably serve no purpose, the existing piece is optional already
            2. Weight, fabric is much lighter

Photos to show the aluminium angle
            20130227_193443.jpg 20130228_180506.jpg

Comment

Very interesting. Thanks for the pictures and insight.
              Travis M
              Kentucky
              Received December 2022

Comment

See if some of these photos help, to add to what others have already said.

861BF1EB-2A16-48E4-9F91-2DF2394C8D70.jpg

B248AB7F-8460-446E-BDFE-6B7F03545F98.jpg

6C560DB5-520A-40FB-BB8D-1FDCD6C205A4.jpg

69B30498-CBE0-4B77-BCEB-2127CC7C9ED2.jpg

713F057B-3780-4DC0-9A8F-FFB19C70F21D.jpg

Nev Bailey
                Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                YouTube - Build and flying channel
                Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Thanks Nev for the examples.