Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Lines

I am trying to figure out what type of brake lines to use. I am looking to see if I am missing any pros or cons.

Aeroequip Brake lines are expensive but rebuildable and most A&P shops will have hoses. Rated to 3000psi.

Pegasus custom you build Auto Lines are much cheaper and rated to either 1000psi or 1320psi.

Pegasus premade lines and cheaper and rated to 3000psi.

*added - how much pressure does bobs master cylinders make? Is the 1000psi lines enough? Or do they need to be 3000psi?

I like the idea if a line has issues I can fix it relatively easy even in the rough country.

Reading https://bearhawkforums.com/forum/bea...stem#post60880

What is the thinking on running all flex lines from brakes to calipers?

It would reduce connections.

Thanks
    Travis
    Last edited by FFTravism; 04-01-2024, 04:12 PM.
    Travis M
    Kentucky
    Bearhawk 5 Quickbuilt Kit Plane #5041
    Received December 2022

IMG_4317.jpgTravis: I ran 5053 hard line up to the top of the gear then Aeroequip hoses that I made up from the top of the gear in the fuselage. Anyplace the hoses might rub I put heavy marine shrink tubing over the hose to protect it. As you can see from the photo, I did the same with the 5053 aluminum line. All of the flexible line and fittings are rated to 3000 psi.

Roger K
    ILL.
    Companion QB
    N51RK
    Attached Files
    Roger
    QB Companion C-9
    N51RK

Comment

As pictured above, hard lines to the caliper is a suitable solution, with armored flexible lines at the gear leg connection. This solution is built to last and will survive rough country, provided the hard line at the caliper runs to the top of the caliper. Running it around to the bottom would not be a great idea.

I would note that, while I ran hard line all the way to the caliper down the gear leg, a problem can arise if you want to change caliper size (single to double puck, or vice versa). The hard lines work-harden when they are bent, so re-bending them isn't a great idea. So I would say there is some merit to having a short flexible line at the gear leg, if you are likely to change caliper size in future.

Comment

Battson did you have any trouble bleeding the caliper with the hard line run to the top of it?

Comment

• Nev
          Nev commented
          Editing a comment
          You can use an oil can with a hose pressed on at both ends and pump fluid through - works well. No issues bleeding with it plumbed that way.

FWIW I used the Aeroquip lines.

IMG_2687.jpg

Comment

• FFTravism
          FFTravism commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks like the Aeroquip PTFE hose with steel ends is that correct?

• alaskabearhawk
          alaskabearhawk commented
          Editing a comment
          That's correct. The Aeroquip part number for the ends is FBM1101. I bought 20 four years ago at $5.75 each. Now they are almost double that.

• FFTravism
          FFTravism commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. Much cheaper then the 491 ends.

Originally posted by Dpearson View Post
        Battson did you have any trouble bleeding the caliper with the hard line run to the top of it?
        It's no problem at all.
        In fact, I think the easiest method is filling the brake system up from the bottom, as this forces air bubbles up the line - rather than trying to force them down which is naturally more difficult as air will tend to rise, and can form bubbles in any high points.

My understanding is, this is the preferred way to do it, to ensure there's no air left in the system.

Comment

Working...
        X