Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DavzLSA progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Brad wanted to ask you about the aileron pulley mount that welds near the gear leg mounts, as usual the plans are not very clear on that. Did you attach that pulley mount when you attacked the gear leg mounts or afterward? Also do you have any pictures of the pulley mount before you installed it? Thats about the only thing I need some clarification on.

Comment

• BTAZ
      BTAZ commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't weld on the pulley mount until the very end. After I had temporarily mated the wings/fabricated the struts (which meant I had the strut end pieces made) I put the lower strut fitting into one of the short strut drops that came with the struts and bolted it to the fuselage fitting. then I ran a cable through the strut piece to help me place the pulley/brackets.

For the front pulley bracket, I used the one shown in the plans.

For the rear, I welded a tube directly to the fuselage and tapped it for the pulley bolt to thread in to and then used a safety wired drilled head bolt

HI Brad, that's what I was thinking, they are welded on last. I would really like to see some detailed pictures of the pulley mount. That would be a great help.

Comment

This is what I did for the pulley mount. Slight variation from plans in that I used a threaded bushing welded to the fuselage frame instead of the rear bracket shown in the plans. I used a drilled head bolt and safety wired it at final installation.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Thanks Brad that helped a lot, I totally got it now, Thanks

Comment

Hey Guys got some progress to report Boom!!!! Rudder pedals done!!!! Check em out! A few hours and only one 2nd degree burn but hey I had fun!!!
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Hi Guys, got more progress to report, I have the front seat support welded in and the idler arm made and welded on, I bought gear legs from Mark so now im at the stage where im trying to get the gear legs jigged up to be able to weld the attachment brackets to the fuse, I have the fuse jigged into position for this but im trying now to jig the gear legs into position to weld the brackets. Im having a hard time coming up with a way to do that, so if anyone has store bought gear legs and has had to weld the attachment bracket to the fuse with the gear legs jigged into position please let me know how you did it. Looking for suggestions. Thanks
            This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

HI Guys more progress to report, I know it dont look like much but it took a long time to get to this point. I finally managed to get my fuse and gear legs jigged up together. The biggest problem I had was getting the correct height of the fuse above the floor. As you can see in the pictures I used straps over the rafters to get a fine adjustment ability. Once I did that I made wood blocks with 1 1/4 diameter holes and split them. They were then attached to a 2x4 the correct distance apart to get the correct angle of the gear leg to the fuse longeron. I still need to more adjustment though, the legs are too close to the longerons for the brackets to go on. Per the plans the center of the pivot point in the gear legs is 1/2 inch from the outer edge of the longeron tube. Before I started this I made sure the fuse was centered on the center line and that it was level, I also hooked my tape measure in the outside axle tube and measured back to the plumb bob at the tail that was centered on the center line and made sure I got the same measurement on both sides. made sure that both axles were level horizontally. I think to check toe in and out I will slide my wheels on and be sure they have the same distance between the wheels front and back. It was a nice day today so I shined up Lucille, I know this is not a car forum but dang she is pretty when she is shined up. Hope you like the pictures.
              David
              This gallery has 8 photos.

Comment

• BTAZ
                BTAZ commented
                Editing a comment
                Did you purchase the shock struts or are you fabricating them?

If you have or plan to purchase them, you probably want to put them in place as well before finalizing your position.

Hey Brad, Im going to build the shock struts. My son is training to be a machinist and I have a lathe mill combo machine. I think i will only need the lathe on the shock struts. Im planning on using your method of the bronze insert in the top plugs. Are you having any problems with it leaking? I know you would have several landings on them by now? I will be using the plans and your PDF info for that build. Thanks for putting it out there.

Comment

HI Guys, a little more progress to report. I finalllllllly got the gear legs jigged up and ready to weld. I have spent several hours The biggest PIA was getting the toe in and out set up. As you can see in the pictures I was able to get a piece of square tubing squared up with the center line. With that tubing square with the center line I was able to drop plumb bobs off it to get the measurements from the plumb bob string to the axle. So now Im all ready to weld up the brackets for the gear legs to the fuselage. EXCEPT Im out of acetylene gas.
                This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

• jaredyates
                  jaredyates commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice work! I usually run out of welding gas on Friday at 6pm.

I got acetylene and O2 refill so im in the process of welding the gear legs brackets to the fuse. Its a lot of welding. Hope to be done soon. Ill have pictures soon.

Comment

Hey guys, I got my gear leg attach point welded to my fuse now, Im going to put temporary braces from the gear leg to the bottom of the fuse and put my wheels together and get them mounted on the axles. I think once I get the wheels mounted to the axles I will set the brakes up and get them plumbed.

Comment

• rodsmith
                    rodsmith commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sometime in the build process before painting the gear legs, do a careful alignment check for toe in/out. I thought I had jigged my gear to assure 0 deg toe in when welding the axles, they ended up with 2 deg toe in which I had to adjust out.

Hi Rod, how did you adjust the toe in and out after the gear leg attach brackets were finish welded to the fuse? My gear legs are store bought so I guess I could heat the gear legs by the axles and try to adjust them there?

Comment

Originally posted by davzLSA View Post
                    Hi Rod, how did you adjust the toe in and out after the gear leg attach brackets were finish welded to the fuse? My gear legs are store bought so I guess I could heat the gear legs by the axles and try to adjust them there?
                    Mark sent me Bob's procedure. Like you said it involves heating the cluster at the axle to 900 to 1000 deg, using about an 8' pipe that slips over the axle and some careful geometry to move the end of the pipe the correct amount. Best done later in the project when you have weight on the gear. My wings and engine were installed at the time. In fact toe-in is best measured with weight on the gear and the gear spread 72" center to center on the tires. Bob wants 0 to 1/2 deg toe in.
                    Last edited by rodsmith; 03-17-2018, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Hey Rod, thanks for that info I will certainly use it when I get the fuse further assembled.

Comment

HI Guys, Got some progress to report. Got the rudder pedals welded to the longerons, both front and back. having weirdness with getting the brake cylinder attach points welded in the correct spot so as not to interfere with the engine mount bolts. Any comments are welcomed. Here are the pictures.
                        This gallery has 10 photos.

Comment

Working...
                        X