Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DavzLSA progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Guys, lots happened since my last post. I have retired from the evil empire (ATT) and now I am free to pursue my own interests. As you all know from my last post I have started building onto my shop hence I have stopped building on my LSA. Well I am about to be back to building on my LSA. My shop addition is almost complete now. I just need to build the benches and some shelving. I hope to start posting regularly soon on my LSA build. I have also started a business so that will take time away from my build but since I no longer have a pesky job to worry with I should be able to budget time for my LSA and my business. Here are some shop pics. Hope you like them.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

• David Swartzendruber
      David Swartzendruber commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad you're back! Looking forward to seeing your LSA progress.

• rodsmith
      rodsmith commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice!

• I thought General Electric was the evil empire...

Nice space.

Andy

Comment

• No ATT is because it has the death star as the logo.

Comment

• Hi Guys, I have some progress to report today. I put the tail feathers back on my plane and got the flying wires sorted. I had to remake all the connectors because the store bought connectors made the wires too long. I also got my trim system in today. I am using a trim wheel so I had to engineer it since the LSA is supposed to use an overhead lever. I prefer the trim wheel so thats what I now have. Hope you like the pics. Happy building all!!!
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 11 photos.

Comment

• Sweet setup. Is the trim wheel system simple enough you make it dual? I assume the original overhead trim lever was located so it could be operated from both seats. Trim wheel definitely appealing. And the throttle quadrant (forgive my ignorance) is throttle, mixture and choke? Or carb heat? Something Corvair related? Anyway, looking great and the new place sure has filled up.
          Frank Forney
          Englewood CO
          https://eaabuilderslog.org?s=FranksLSA
          EAA Chapter 301

Comment

• HI Frank, The quadrant has a lever for the throttle, mixture and carb heat. The trim wheel could be set up for the rear seat to have one as well. The trim wheel is attached to a spool which the wire is wrapped around several times. For the rear trim control there would be a separate wire that would go from the front spool to a rear spool and from there another wire going from the rear spool to the trim tab control horns. I have found that the circumference of the spool determines how many turns it takes to move the trim tab up and down. The spool in my trim wheel is about 3 inches in diameter so it only takes 2 or 3 revolutions to move the trim tab from full up to full down. And I think the position of the elevator will affect that as well. I still may tweak it more the make the trim wheel less sensitive. I have started a little business in my shop as well, most of the tools you see are wood working tools. My new business is making outdoor furniture. Gook luck on your build Frank!!

Comment

• Hi Guys, I remember seeing a excell spread sheet here somewhere that had all the materials for the lsa wing. I cant seem to find it again. If anyone knows where it is could you please point me toward it. I have not posted in awhile but I have been redoing my control column. I am rebuilding it with rod end bearings on the interconnect tube and bearings on the control stick axles, I believe it will make for a smoother control system. When I get it together I will post pics. Thanks All!!!
              Last edited by davzLSA; 12-16-2020, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• Hey Reuben thanks a bunch for that I have been looking every where for that.

Comment

• Sorry Dave, I didn't realize that was what you were referring to, otherwise I would have replied. It is a preliminary list of parts (in Word not Excel) and a possible layout of the ribs and some other pieces, basically just enough to get me started. The parts list doesn't include the skins or steel items or fasteners.

My initial order from Aircraft Spruce (there will be others) was: 4 sheets 4x12 .020, 1 sheet 4x12 .025, and 1 sheet 4x8 .025 and the cost including 147.00 UPS to Denver was right around 1000.00. I'm hoping the wastage will be minimal.

In retrospect, I think that if you want to be as economical as possible and calculate the total order for aluminum, then you might start by laying out the largest pieces first and then proceed to the smaller pieces, i.e., layout (calculate) the skins first rather than last.

The .020 cuts easily with snips and the parts can can be very close to each other. The .025 cuts less easily and need some separation from each other, the cut edges being a bit wavy.

Frank Forney
                Englewood CO
                EAA Chapter 301

Comment

• Hey Frank, I have the spar and rib kit from Mark. All I really needed was the info on the cap strips and I have estimated the wing skins already. One of the things I found about the wing skins was that it will be difficult to estimate the amount of aluminum without a lot of waste. But from the widths of some of the skins the measurements dont lend themselves to a 48 in wide piece of stock.

Comment

• Don't rely on my calculations. The cap strips are a bit difficult for me to visualize. I'm working on an exploded drawing of the spars. 😀
                    Frank Forney
                    Englewood CO
                    EAA Chapter 301

Comment

• Sounds great Frank, please share them when you get done. Thanks a bunch!!!!

Comment

• Hi Guys, I might suggest you modify the back seat. I have been in the back for around one hundred hours and it is terrible thus I changed the top bar and found it much better. My fourteen grand son is at the controls. Also the front seat needs a lumbar pad. Sending pictures. Stinger
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Hey Stinger thanks for the heads up on that. Did you weld that new tube into the back seat while it was latched in the fuse? Knowing how things move when you weld them I would think it was in the fuse when welded?

Comment

• stinger
                            stinger commented
                            Editing a comment
                            No but that would be a good idea.I could not weld in completed aircraft Stinger

• understand i work not want to burn down a completed airplane either

Comment

Working...
                          X