Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DavzLSA progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another idea/view point.

This has been discussed in the past but in context of the Patrol. Here is a thread.

I have just about finished my fuselage and i am wondering about the pushrod from the control stick to the idler arm. The end at the stick is fixed and the end

I used the fix in Post #11, which puts a joggle in the idler arms to make place where the rod end is captured by the idler wider and avoids contact between the idler and the rod end. A couple of bushings are also used in this method to keep the rod end centered on the bolt.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• David Swartzendruber
      David Swartzendruber commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, that's what I had to do to take full advantage of the amount of travel that the rod end was capable of. My question then was is that enough. If the LSA only requires 35 degrees or less, then it's good with no further mod. I used a spacer on each side that I got from McMaster-Carr.
      McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

• davzLSA
      davzLSA commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Brooks I know that horse has been beat to death, I hate making joggles so this is my solution to the problem.

• Hey Dave, The polycarbonate im using in my rear windows is .090 inches thick, it fit very well into the frames. I set my control up to swing the front stick 10 inches to each side on center. I checked Marks LSA and that was the way his was set up. I have not built my wings yet so I cant give you exact numbers yet. With my universal joint in action it just turns until the rod end reaches its limit then the link rod just turns. It does not loosen the rod end bearing. The rod end is tightly bolted into the end of the u-joint.

Comment

• David Swartzendruber
      Editing a comment
      I forgot that you didn't have any wings yet.

• davzLSA
      davzLSA commented
      Editing a comment
      Im doing it backwards from most folks. I have built a set of wings before.

• Hey Guys, I think someone wanted a drawing of my universal joint. Here it is.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Hey guys I have progress to report. Today I got the interior painted, so im done with the interior now. I still need to attach some controls and I have more prep work to do before starting the out side covering. The interior turned out better than I expected. The stewart system is very easy to work with. I have a bunch of pics. Some of them show my fuel system, how I have it attached and routed. The manual has plenty of guidance on routing but I never saw anything that suggested on how to attach the fuel line. You will notice I used flexible lines through out. A friend who was in a crash and was badly burned and this influenced my decision to use flexible lines. Also you will find a drawing of my universal joint on the control rod that attaches to the idler arm. As usual any comments or suggestions are welcomed.
      This gallery has 20 photos.

Comment

• Hey Guys I dont have any progress to report on my plane but today I started my tail wheel training. I logged my first hour in 25 years. It was great, the instructor was impressed I did as well as I did. I had forgotten how much I missed it. It was a J3 Cub. Once I get the endorsement I plan to keep my proficiency up by flying at least once a week until I get my LSA built. Another reason I wanted to start the flight training was too keep me motivated on my build. As far as my plane goes, I have the interior painted and I am waiting on some parts to get some electrical work done before covering the outside of the fuse. When that is done I will post more pics.

Comment

• David Swartzendruber
          Editing a comment
          Congratulations on getting back in the air. I did the same thing 2 years ago after about a 25 year break as well.

• HI Guys, I have progress to report. I have been thrashing on my airplane pretty heavy lately. Having started back flying has really motivated me to get moving. So now I have the interior covered and all the coax ran for my antennas. I have the ELT tray and associated wiring installed as well. I am waiting on my FAA guy to come by and inspect the fuse before I cover the sides and top. I have the bottom covered already. I wanted the fuse to be visible for him to inspect before the final covering. In the mean time I have started making wing parts. I have started making the hundreds of rib stiffener angles. I am lucky that I have a friend that has an 8 foot sheer and a fiend that came by yesterday and actually helped me make some parts. Everyone is always asking when are you going to finish, and I tell them I am a one man show for a show that take 10 men if it is to be done in a reasonable amount of time. So my process so far has been to make the aluminum parts the old fashioned way (by hand) then deburr them then etch them then prime them. This is some of the work no one ever sees and unless you have done it yourself I don't think one can really appreciate how much work goes into it. My hat is off to the guys in Mexico making all those fast build kits. Here are my pics, as usual comments and suggestions are welcome.
        This gallery has 17 photos.

Comment

• Frank
          Frank commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent Dave! When are you going to finish? I sometimes say "why would I want to finish?" Because I truly enjoy all that time spent on the small but necessary steps.

• Hey Frank, I don't really have a completion date in mind. It just depends on how much I get out to the shop and work on it. Im thinking I would like to get it done within the next year and a half. I still have a lot of work to do, but flying is really motivating me to get it done as soon as possible.

Comment

• Hey Guys I have some progress to report. I have both sides of the fuse covered now, just waiting on some more antichafe tape to get the top covered. I have pic for the fuse where I a trimming out the threshold of the entrance door and the door.
          This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• Hey Guys, I have progress to report, I have the fuse fully covered now with all the tapes, it has 6 coats of ekofill and is ready for primer. My plan is to get it in primer, about 4 coats with sanding in between. Im going to leave the final coat of primer un-sanded until I get ready to put the top coats on. In the mean time I will install the boot cowl and firewall then put the landing gear back on it. Then I will install panel again and finishing wiring it. So there will be more progress to report in the future. Hope you like the pics.
            This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

• Frank
              Frank commented
              Editing a comment
              Excellent work Dave!

• rodsmith
              rodsmith commented
              Editing a comment
              Curious why you are using primer. Is your topcoat going to be a light color and you need a white base for it?

• HI Rob, Im using the Stewart system and this is the ecofil coat, it doesnt have the primer coat yet in these pictures. The primer is on it now and it is a smoke grey color. The ecofil is the weave filler and uv protestion before the primer goes on.
            Last edited by davzLSA; 01-01-2024, 02:09 AM.

Comment

• Hi Guys, I have progress to report. I finally have the engine cowl built and mostly installed. I also have to prop spinner installed with its million plate nuts. Im waiting on my camloc fasteners to finish up the cowl openings. I have started fitting the wind screen as well. Trying to get this fuse done so I can get started on the wing. Ill be making updates as I go.
              Last edited by davzLSA; 03-19-2024, 03:04 PM.

Comment

• Here are the pics
                This gallery has 7 photos.

Comment

Working...
                X